Sign in to follow this  
StarSapphire22

Edi got stuck to the filter!

great update hun :) regrowth should steadily happen from this point forwards.. salt is the best thing for repairs to fins and slimecoat :)

Yay. :) She is still more floaty than usual, and ends up being upside down and stuff once in a while. She was never floaty like that before, she just did headstands when she was at rest. Do you think it will go away eventually, or is it possible it messed up her swim bladder somehow?

Edi is now pineconing. She's been very tired the last couple days and not very active. She is still in .2% salt, but no meds or anything. Only noticed because I was going to bed and realized I forgot to feed her today. She's been on deshelled, thawed peas for food.

ok hun, time to remove the salt :(

she may be reacting to that. so, nice big water change and get that salt out of the tank. can i get some overhead pics please? you can get this whilst she's in her holding tub.

Yep, just getting a bit of juice on my tablet now to take pics. Should be up in a few minutes. I'll have Taylor do the WC change now. Should we put Epsom or anything in the new water?

nope, lets just get fresh water in there for now., i want to see the pineconing.. if you can manage a shot from the side also, i want to see where her body meets the head.

ie, you can generally manage to get a pic like that once she's back in the tank and taking a side photo displaying her eye.

I'm trying to get the above shot now, but my tablet wasn't high res enough to show it. Charging my camera now, had to go hunting for it. Will get the side pic once the WC is done. Why does pineconing happen? what does it mean? She looks really bad, I'm scared. :(

normally we associate pineconing with bacteria/infection. it could be, from her injury that she suffered some mild internal bleeding which became infected or a bruise that may have leaked fluid inside. we can't be too sure hun.. all we can do is treat for the symptoms we see and hope for the best.

i am hoping that it's going to be something that is not serious :)

one of the chocolate telescope butterfiles i received was beginning to pinecone during QT.. there was a lot of swelling, i assumed that because it was the only female of the lot, that she was just bigger.. then she swelled up some more and only just started to pinecone. because she's new and i don't know what conditions she was living in prior, am treating with everything i know, currently, she's doing well :) . but, for your fish, seeing as we know it came from a nice clean community tank and suffered an injury prior to pineconing, we can start with salt free water. sometimes, salt can trigger pineconing too.. we just need to take backward steps now and eliminate what we added prior to the pinecone.

i still have in the back of my mind to get to the bottom of why Edi first weakend that caused her to become stuck to the filter in the first place. i was thinking earlier on in your thread that internal parasites could have been the cause. now that you say she's starting to pinecone, this could be likely.

we will wait the pics and decide from there eh?

Internal parasites are a definite possibility. I've always thought she's been rather round, but just attributed it to her being female. She also headstands at rest, but I thought swim bladder. She was a petsmart fish and I didn't prazi or anything, so.... She was so active at the the store I assumed she was healthy. Swam circles around the others in her tank and none looked unhealthy to me from about half an hour of observation. I've only had her for 1.5-2 months now. No one else has had any deworming or anything either. Sullys an rg fish, but the others are from petsmart and walmart. They've never shown any signs of anything though, though it may be they just have stronger immune systems? I think a definite possibility is that Batman wore her out with his advances too. It was the day after a water change I think and only a few hours after feeding when she got stuck, and he always gets a little frisky after that.

Alright here's some pics. Got one of her upside down, too, she's still floaty) and a couple other angles. Side one will come soon, once we move her back over. We got as much salt out as we could, there may be trace amounts left. Filling it up with plain old primed water now.

100_0734.jpg

100_0733.jpg

100_0732.jpg

100_0730.jpg

100_0728.jpg

Sorry the pictures aren't the best. She's minorly freaking out about being in tupperware. They are very clearly defined and sticking out though in person.

can i ask why she so easily posed upside down for us? :rofl

ok.. i see swelling, which warrants Epsom.. 1/4 teaspoon only for every 10US gallons of water.. fully dissolved. do you have Prazi/PraziPro and MetroMeds or Metronidazole tablets/powder/liquid?

She's floaty since she got stuck. I walked away for a second and when i came back that's how she was. I tapped the side gently and she righted herself and swam away. :idont

Metromeds: yes; Prazi: no.

Where do you see swelling? I must be blind. Or just used to her being a big butterball. I'll add epsom now.

just behind the gill plates hun.. and leading down to her belly.. if her scales were flat, you would be able to see that her bodyshape does not align well with her gill plates. unless it's a pearlie or some sort of rounded shaped fish by nature, all fish are streamlined in that area. when the area behind the gillplates is somewhat puffed up it will give this sorta shape )_( rather than I_I if that makes sense?

I guess I just always thought she was a little rounder. I should have thought it was weird she was shaped like a pearlie. :no: She's normally shaped like this though. (_)

Do you still need a side picture?

I just dissolved and added the epsom and am testing ph now to make sure it's the same. Anything else I should do before adding her back in?

Edited by StarSapphire22

the body can be (_).. but where the gill plates meet the body. should be I_I not )_(.. i will see later for some reference pics to show you.

i do need to see a side shot of her to see if there is a lump under her "chin" area.

Ok. The water in the tank needs to age. It's high again. Would pH shock make her pinecone? She just had a water change half hour before I noticed this. Her tupperware water is reading 7.8-8.0, which is a little on the high side of what we normally are (7.4-7.8). New water is reading about 8.3. Makes me think our tap pH spiked again. It did this the day we found her on the filter, but not the next day so I assumed it was a one time thing and stopped testing when we did changes.

PH swings and Temp swings can encourage pineconing.. yes.

Gotcha.

Taylor did that water change and said he wasn't sure if she was pineconing before he did it and isn't sure he would have noticed. He didn't know what it was and may not have looked out for it. He says he did finger tests with the water and temps matched. So pH would have been the only difference and I think she may have been pH shocked. Does this change what we need to do at all?

tell Taylor to not worry :) this amount of pineconing indicates it's been brewing for a few days. that much swelling doesn't happen in a few hours or more.. it generally takes a few days. for the fact that you had her in aquarium salt, this may have sped up the process. so, i don't think it has anything to do with the WC that that Taylor just did :)

Ok. Once the pH has gone down, is there anything else I need to do for her immediately? Should I feed her the metromeds now? She hasn't eaten yet today. I don't know how much she weighs, so I don't know the exact amount to feed her. It's 3:30 AM, here and we're tired, but I'll stay up as long as I need to. Tatertot has passed out on the couch already. :lol

Ok. Once the pH has gone down, is there anything else I need to do for her immediately? Should I feed her the metromeds now? She hasn't eaten yet today. I don't know how much she weighs, so I don't know the exact amount to feed her. It's 3:30 AM, here and we're tired, but I'll stay up as long as I need to. Tatertot has passed out on the couch already. :lol

you can feed her some MetroMeds now.. as many as what she will eat..

you do have the airstone/wand running in the QT, right?