Sign in to follow this  
StarSapphire22

Edi got stuck to the filter!

Batman may have worn her out with his advances due to the massive size difference and caused the stuck to the filter episode- keep an eye on that, and give her a break in the colander to recover, if she seems to have had enough. She'll be good as new in no time, though! ;)

she's doing so well :)

i have suspicion seeing as she's calico that those brown spots is colouring that you never noticed. did you post an Edi update not so long ago? prior to the accident? can you check that to see if this colouring was there or beginning?

I haven't taken pictures of her in like a month and a half, and unfortunately, I haven't been able to pay as much attention as I would have liked to the goldies lately. It's a quick feeding in the mornings kinda situation right now. Her coloring has changed a lot from what I remember though and all her black seems to be brown now. I think she may end up being all orange and white. Starting qt setup now, updates in a few hours.

Silly question....so I scrubbed the walls with bleach, filled it up, let it sit, and am now rinsing it for the third time by filling it up and then draining it with my python. However, I can't get that last bit of water from the tank every time. So how do I get all the bleach out?

really? are you wiping the walls down as you rinse with fresh water? sometimes, depending on the bleach, it can hang around a bit.. ie, stuck to the internal glass walls. make sure that you're wiping it off the silicone too.

after all that, be sure to use prime ok?

Well, we filled it up, added salt and prime, and did a water test. Waiting on the others but pH is 8.3!!!!! The main tank is 7.4-7.6 ish. NOW what do I do?!

hun, just let it run for about an hour and test again.. ok?

Ammonia is reading 2.0 even after 4x dose of Prime (1 cap for a 10 gallon tank) as well. I only have a 1/2 cap of Prime left, I need to get more. :/

Also, silly question. Can anyone tell me why there's a zillion tiny bubbles on the walls?

Edited by StarSapphire22

the zillion tiny bubbles on your walls is because you've bleached the tank super clean, this happens to my qt tank too.. and it also depends with the aeration in the water as it's being poured :) it's ok, they will go.. sometimes, when i totally give the heaters a thorough clean, upon refilling the tank, tiny bubbles will stick to them :)

the ammonia is neutralized with the prime, that is ok too :)

are you using that cycled filter you mentioned previously?

have you checked for ammonia direct from the tap?

yes, you will need to get more prime :)

No, no cycled filter. We realized a desk next to a tank is a perfect spot for kitty fishing. :krazy: So we bought a new air pump, tubing, and a 10 inch bubble wand, and some new river rocks, cause I wasn't sure how bleaching the glass gems would work. Just started the bubble wand, it's sooooo prettyyyyyyyyyyyy. :rofl

My tap has ammonia ranging anywhere from 1-2 depending on the day. It's kindof ridiculous. But it's usually down to .25 the morning after a water change. We go through a lot of prime in this house, since we have to double dose everything. :/

No, no cycled filter. We realized a desk next to a tank is a perfect spot for kitty fishing. :krazy: So we bought a new air pump, tubing, and a 10 inch bubble wand, and some new river rocks, cause I wasn't sure how bleaching the glass gems would work. Just started the bubble wand, it's sooooo prettyyyyyyyyyyyy. :rofl

My tap has ammonia ranging anywhere from 1-2 depending on the day. It's kindof ridiculous. But it's usually down to .25 the morning after a water change. We go through a lot of prime in this house, since we have to double dose everything. :/

a qt should only ever be, heater, tank, aeration and filter is optional. we don't put things in there that could add to the cause. it's a hospital tank. did you give the river rocks and gems a vinegar test to see if they are aquarium safe?

I don't know what the vinegar test is, but they said made for aquariums and I rinsed them super well and took out any remotely sharp ones.

Did I do something bad? I just put them in there cause they like to nose things around and I don't want her to get bored. I had the gems with Bowser (not in this tank anymore, just the new rocks) and Alex didn't say anything when I explained why I added them, so I assumed rocks were ok. :(

Edited by StarSapphire22

The bubbles could also be from a sudden temperature changes. If the water is cold when if comes out and then warms slightly there will be less overall dissolved oxygen and that oxygen would leave the water column in the form of bubbles.

very good :)

you may look at wanting to age some water for tomorrow's wc in a tub if waiting a little is settling the issues :)

sweetie, it's not that you did something bad with the rocks, you can use rocks anytime, just remember that when people are making a sale, they're not often true to their word. everything, ornaments, rocks, pebbles etc should really be tested prior to use as they are a potential health risk. much like when you see a baby or toddler grab anything within reach and first thing they do is put it in their mouths..

it may be that the rocks you purchased are A.OK, however, next time, be weary with everything that you intend to introduce to your tanks..

for a hospital tank, nice things are not necessary. we try to keep that as clean as possible, meaning, no trapped food or medicine or waste from fish to be seen with every water change. when you have gravel or rocks at the bottom, you can never be too sure that you've cleaned enough.

be sure to remember this if you're setting up a qt for a seriously ill fish. Edi, doesn't appear to have that kind of life threat, which is great :)

It's not a thick coating you can still see glass all over. I thought about trapped food and stuff and they're easy to push with the siphon. I'll keep it in mind though for next time. :/

Tested the water again. pH is down to 7.8 now. Can I transfer her yet?

Edited by StarSapphire22

if the params match the tank close enough for PH and temp, then it's good to go :)

Ok. Temps were an exact match at 62 F. She's swimming around trying to eat bubbles and is figuring out that she can take rides on the bubble wand all within five minutes. I think she's gonna do just fine, though I'm worried it may be a little strong in there current wise, even with just the bubble wand. She seems to be swimming kindof hard. The colander protected her from most of the current in the main tank. I'll up the salt when I wake up to .2% and post an update video. Night all. Fingers crossed she makes it through the night. :)

Hmm. Took one last look before bed and she is getting all sorts of knocked around now. She's every which way, even upside down. Keeps going to the walls and top like she's trying to get out. She looks kind of panicky and scared. I just don't think she can keep up with the currents in these tanks. They're a little strong in the main tank but there's lots of calm spots and the decorations break it up a lot. She seemed to be doing okay in there 95% of the time before this happened. There's only a bubble wand going in the 10 gallon with a whisper pump for 10-30 gallons and she can't even stay upright.

Now she looks really tired and is hardly even moving, just letting the current carry her around, righting herself occasionally. If I wasn't watching closely she almost looks dead, she's moving so little. That current really is carrying her around quite a bit. Poor thing is just so little, she just keeps getting knocked all over the place. :(

hun, can you try to reduce the current by pinching the airline tube with a paperclip or clothes peg?