Sign in to follow this  
StarSapphire22

Edi got stuck to the filter!

Hey Kokonuts.

My little calico fantail Edi got stuck to the filter intake. I'm not sure how long she was there for, no more than a couple hours tops, maybe as little as 10 minutes. We unplugged it and she swam away. Her underside was the area that got stuck to it and she has a few injuries. I took a video, and am uploading now, but that could be a couple hours.

Injuries:

Back bottom fins (don't know the technical name, sorry!) are pretty much gone. She has little lines left, like a gonopodium on a male platy.

Tail is a little shredded, but it's straight lines, should heal on it's own I think. Nothing missing or anything, just tears.

Her um...butt hole....is like, pulled outwards, and looks a little red in the middle, maybe bloody?

Her back half is misshapen, and has some sharp angles, protrusions, and indents...like she got remolded.

Symptoms:

Balance issues and fatigue. She wasn't a swim-bladder issue fish, except she went nose down when she was resting. She's quite a bit smaller than my other fish, so the current has been a little strong for her, but I upped it slowly when we first got her and she seemed to have managed full flow just fine for the most part, just tired a little easier than the others now and then. It wasn't knocking her around or anything. I have 2 sponge filters and an AC110 and AC70 on a 75 gallon tank. Now she's all over the place...upside down, sideways, vertical...she can't keep her balance and she's super tired. She had given up when I found her on the filter, wasn't even struggling. I held her to make the video and she didn't even care for the first part, the other couple times I have tried to hold her she swam like crazy trying to get away. She only swims using one fin at a time, never both. BUT considering what just happened, she's got a decent amount of energy. When I let her go, she went to the back to look in the sand for food. She's swimming around, not just resting. She's fairly active.

I'm not sure I can quarantine her. I have a 10 gal qt tank but it wasn't cleaned or anything after my pearlscale Bowser died during qt after some injuries. Just emptied of water and it's been sitting there. No seeded filter or anything either. The 75 gal just had a 50% WC yesterday, and I topped up a little today to reduce current as much as possible, from falling water. Filters are running with sponge, purigen, and biomax media. I'll be adding sponges to the cover the intake ASAP. What should do? I have Medikoi pellets, metromeds, and jumpstart pellets on hand, and pimafix and melafix as well. We have absolutely no money to spare right now to buy anything else (MAYBE one thing if it's under $15), we just had an expensive vet trip yesterday for my cat.

Help. :(

my immediate advice to you is to put her in a breeder basket as soon as possible whilst you sterilize the qt and components. she will need to go into qt for salt treatment to repair fins and slime coat. from there, we can try to figure out why she became so weak as to be stuck to the filter intake.

also, once you have everything under control, please do post that video as well as answering all the questions from the white box above. there might be something in the main tank that is affecting only this fish.

you will not need a cycled filter for qt. or a filter at all. just aeration. i do not think at this stage that you will need to be buying anything more than what you already have at hand. provided it's all within the expiry period, stored well and not gone rancid.

How do I sterilize?

Would a sponge filter be ok? If I move the desk across the living room I could just put one from the main tank in there. They're run on the same pump. Everything should be good and not spoiled. Some of it is in bags from other kokonuts, but I only got it a couple months ago. The medikoi has been in the freezer, per JamieMonsters recommendation.

Hey Jess- sorry this happened. I am sure someone else will come on with better info, but, I know how hard it can be to wait when you have a sick fish. I would absolutely QT her in the 10 gal... Get her in a colander, or something else protected for the time being. Do you have bleach? Sponge the QT tank out with water and bleach at a 1:20 ratio, let it sit for a bit, and then drain it- rinse it out entirely 3-4 times (more, if you still smell bleach inside- you want no bleach smell to remain- it will be helpful if you have someone who did not smell the bleach while it is being cleaned check it... the smell sticks in your nose for a while afterwards)... when you add your new water, do a 4Xs dose of prime to neutralize anything that may be remaining.

Treatment for fish should definitely be salt, and I am guessing kanamycin, if you can get it. As far as a filter goes, do you have an extra, small air pump that you could pull one of your sponge filters over there? Those should be fully seeded, and will provide a nice, calm environment for her while she recovers. If you don't have an extra air pump- one that should be fine for the size of a 10gal QT should be under 10 dollars at WM, Petsmart, or Petco.

Hang in there sweetie, I am sure the Mods are on the way- fingers crossed it will all be OK.

sterilizing with bleach is 1 part bleach 9 parts water. personally, if time is on my side, i use pure bleach by just dropping a cup into the bottom of the tank and using a clean sponge to soak and scrub the walls (whilst wearing a glove)... i allow that to sit for a bit and then i fill the tank with water.. allow that for another half our.. empty and rinse 2 or 3 times with clean fresh water. then i fill it up again add prime, allow it to sit for about 10 mins and empty again.

once the smell of bleach is gone, you're good to go.

like i said, you won't be needing a filter, just an air pump with bubble wand and stone.

if the food is ok, then fine, but at this stage, i don't believe we will be needing to medicate.

The medikoi is about 5 mos old, was stored in the freezer the entire time after opening here, and prior to shipping, as well. It should still be OK, IF you need it.

I don't have an extra air pump, but I can just rearrange my furniture it's fine. I don't have bleach, but I can get some tomorrow...everything is closed right now, even Walmart. North Dakota has weird laws about when stores can be open on Saturday and Sunday. So I won't be able to set up a qt until tomorrow. What should I do with her over night?

hun, floating her in the colander overnight is absolutely fine ;)

Ok. Is there anything I should do to the colander first? Anything I should do to the main tanks water? Once I get the bleach tomorrow I'll recharge my purigen anyways so I can take it out, no problem.

nope, nothing. just make sure the colander is clean, ie free from food, oils etc.. and it's good to go. there is nothing you need to do to the main tank either. the other fish are fine, they don't need change.

basically, we're using the colander to avoid any pecking or bullying from the other tank mates. clearly Edi has weakened.. this is a problem. add wounds and the smell of blood and that's sure enough to make her a target to the others. we're just protecting her like this so that you have good time to set up qt. :)

report back if she shows any sign of deterioration during her time in the colander. we may need to set up an emergency qt with whatever you have at hand.

how's the video progressing?

Video is at 55%. It's been going a little under an hour, so hopefully an hour more or so. I'll go put her in the colander now. :)

Alright. She's in the colander now. Swimming fairly actively, and one of the bottom back fins has opened a little. It's like half of the normal size, but bigger than the little toothpick like thing she had before. The weird shapes are already going away a little, but her butthole is still pulled out. 62% now.

does the video that you are uploading show her butt? ie, will show us the injury you're describing? if not, could you also add a couple of pictures to show this? the fact that she's active is a very good sign.

i would also like to recommend that you feed her peas for a few days, just to keep her poop as soft as possible if that's where she's injured the most.

I tried to but my thumb was in the way most of the time. Hopefully you guys can see it a little. If not, I'll try to take a few pictures of it. Good idea with the peas. :)

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsfOSvzfHpg?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsfOSvzfHpg?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsfOSvzfHpg?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Sorry I took the video on my tablet didn't realize it would be vertical like that. Full screen helps a little. :/

right, i've just seen the video.. i do believe she's come out of it ok and am confident with some qt time, she will heal up just fine. to me, i don't see any darkened areas where blood would have been sucked to the surface from the force of the intake tube current. so this is really good.

i did see where her butt is kind of deformed a little and the fins that are damaged/missing. overall, i think qt time with salt to nothing more than 0.2% for 10 days will do her the world of good. i also do not believe that any meds into the water or consumed orally are required at this stage, if at all.

so, tomorrow, sterilize that qt and move her over beginning salt at 0.1%.. after 12 hours raise that to 0.2% and hold steady for 10 days. wc as frequently as possible ensuring that you are keeping an eye on ammonia particularly as well as other params.

you may use a cycled filter if you wish. as there is no bleeding from the fish and no meds are required, if a cycle filter is at hand and can be used, you can wc every other day or so... but please do still keep an eye out for those water params regularly.

good luck, i feel she will recover brilliantly in your care :)

Thanks Helen. :)

I am uploading a update video now, hopefully it'll be up in a couple hours. We'll be getting bleach and peas tonight once Taylor gets home from work and setting up the qt. She looks a LOT better today, so that's good. :)

I've been following this thread. So glad she's doing better! Hope she continues to improve. :)

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhx9Mn5ky9c?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhx9Mn5ky9c?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhx9Mn5ky9c?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

She does look a lot better! :heart

:rofl I LOL when you said "Can you turn please?" :rofl

She'll be good as new before ya know it.

I do too! I think what struck me as funny is you weren't just talking to her but REQUESTING something of her! :rofl

Sometimes it works! I swear, it's like they have ESP or something! :rofl Like when Batman keeps trying to breed with her, I'll look at him and say in a stern voice "No means no, Batman." and he stops! :lol