My tank is a maternity ward =/

BurningIvy

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also for culling you dont have to cull any you don't want to, although there will come a time in their development when a few may have very serious deformities that may need to be put down. But culling can be as simple as having a batch that are less than prefect and a batch that are ideal, culling doesn't always meaning killing nowadays.

Culling is a nessecery evil, often times breeders use it to remove fish with undesireable traits (such as a triple tail, no ventral fins, single anal fin, etc), but also cull to euthanize those fry who have deformities that would make life difficult (severly bent spines, eyes hanging from the socket, malformed mouths, etc). You must also think that while they are tiny now if all 50 of those fry live and grow (and BOY will they grow) they'll need more room. If you're going by the 'standard' of 10 gallons per fish, that's 500 gallons of water, plus filteration, and feeding all those endlessly hungry mouths up to six times a day can become expensive if you let it.

Also, I noticed in your picture you have a decent amount of bubbles clining to the side of your tank. Do you have well water by any chance?

Just an update: The little ones are doing really well. I've only lost eight in total and when I find them their backs have started to twist. It's very strange. I feel like something must have been wrong with them from the beginning. Anyway, doing well and have even started to eat!

Culling is a choice, just do what you think is best =)

BEWARE of well water. the bubbles you see on the side of your tank are a result of whats called supersaturated water. That means that too much oxygen is staying in the water as it comes out of the ground. While there are no ill effect in humans, in aquatic animals it can be fatal. The excess oxygen latches onto them, passing through the slime coat and into the skin causing boyancy issues, and can also pass through their finnage, leaving bubbles that can burst and cause fin damage.

In fry it is especially dangerous, because the fish are so small even the tiniest bubbles can harm them; i lost 20 healthy one month old fish in this fashion.

Supersaturated water is super easy to fix, however. If you have the space I would suggest aging the water with an airstone for a day, which allows most of the extra oxygen to escape, otherwise just agitating the water before you add it to your tanks. I used an empty milk container, filled it up with water and left only a little room for air, and then shook the heck out of it until all the bubble were gone, but that only works on a small scale.

What do you mean by their spines are twisting?

Not to totally change the subject but pictures got interrupted because Ursula is about to lay more eggs. I'm not going to fertilize them this time so I took her out and put her in a tub to do her thing. I will try to get pictures of the fry as soon as I can but they are so transparent all you see is a great view of my back yard.

An addendum to supersaturation, driving the oxygen out can sometimes affect your pH as well so be sure to check the levels of aging water and make sure they are still within range before the water change :)

Ursala! You need to change her name to (Fertile) Myrtle!! :rofl

Pics of your backyard would be ok. We might like a pic or two of the fry but really any pic will do. :teehee

You better get them cable or teach her how to knit, something besides having babies.

Pics of your foot, pics of the dog/cat whatever, just something to look at besides our belly buttons :tomuch:

Edited by smegypsiren

Awwww zippy little brats :) How many are there now. So nice of you to give them a room with a view and room service, looks like 4 star accommodations.

Edited by smegypsiren