My tank is a maternity ward =/

BurningIvy

I think room temp would be alright for hatching, most say that eggs hatch at 21C (70F). I believe raising the temp to 78F comes when they are older and you are able to feed them 4-6 times a day. It's also used since fry are prone to flukes and costia and treating at a higher temp ensures the parasites will be eradicated without substantial fry loss :)

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pleased to announce that I have 4 little ones who are early hatchers =)

I think room temp would be alright for hatching, most say that eggs hatch at 21C (70F). I believe raising the temp to 78F comes when they are older and you are able to feed them 4-6 times a day. It's also used since fry are prone to flukes and costia and treating at a higher temp ensures the parasites will be eradicated without substantial fry loss :)

Should I not be putting them into heated water? I put the new hatchlings into the tank with a heater. Would it be bad to just turn the heater off?

And we have a few that didn't hatch =( I'm going to let them chill a few more days. Maybe they're just late bloomers. I think in total there are about 30 but I can't count because they move so fast haha

I love this thread. It's one of the first ones I check when I get online. There's always a surprise . . . like 45 fry!! :yikes

Pics? Or are they just too small now? :)

I love it too haha but I'm biased of course! I have pics I'm uploading them right now =)

Not to be sad or morbid but how do I get the dead ones out? They're at the bottom and I checked they're definitely dead but i can't get them out =/ Also, I've been reading a lot and don't understand, what is culling?

Um winging it here but siphoning them out would be my guess, probly the quicker the better. I think maybe culling might be when they snuff the less then ideal babies, which IMO sucks.

like kill them? just because they aren't perfect? that's awful. I hope it isn't true. =( I tend to gravitate towards the broken needy fellas when I visit pet stores. They're the ones with cool character haha