Sign in to follow this  
neeceee2

Moved My Tank

Noticed that with the colder weather my fish were getting slugish. So I moved them from infront of the window, To a solid wall. I believe the window was letting them get colder. I just hope there color does not sufer from lack of sun light. After a day they have perked back up. Any one else move thier fish for winter?

my tank is in the bedroom and is on a wall that has no window....but they do get some sun light (indirect)...........so I do not move the tank in the winter..the tank has a heater that I do use in the colder months..........but pretty much the temp stays constant for them.

I try to avoid moving my tank as much as possible! It used to be near the Window and around a year ago I moved it away from there. I put my fish in a bucket while doing it and one of them jumped out and went unnoticed for about 20 minutes! He ended up ok, but now if I have to take my fish out I make sure to keep something on top of the bucket!

My fish are now kind of in the middle of the room, dividing the lounge and dining room. It gets some sunlight from the back door and window but not a lot now :)

I had my tank in front of a window once, wound up with a brown "algae" bloom. Never again.

I think that the only time a lot of people move their fish in the winter is from outdoors to indoors if they have a pond.

Mine is not in front of a window but I do have to use a heater to keep it around 74 as the winters here are cold and the house temps really drop as does the tank.

I try to avoid moving my tank as much as possible! It used to be near the Window and around a year ago I moved it away from there. I put my fish in a bucket while doing it and one of them jumped out and went unnoticed for about 20 minutes! He ended up ok, but now if I have to take my fish out I make sure to keep something on top of the bucket!

My fish are now kind of in the middle of the room, dividing the lounge and dining room. It gets some sunlight from the back door and window but not a lot now :)

I'm shocked! A fish can live out of water 20 minutes? I thought they would die within a minute or two? I must be totally wrong on that account.

I have moved tanks but not for the winter. None of my tanks is in front of a window.

Mine is not in front of a window but I do have to use a heater to keep it around 74 as the winters here are cold and the house temps really drop as does the tank.

I'm shocked! A fish can live out of water 20 minutes? I thought they would die within a minute or two? I must be totally wrong on that account.

I was shocked too! He was all dry when I picked him up, but I tried putting him back in the water, he just sunk...but I noticed his gills moved ever so slightly so I just held him in the water, brushing water over his gills and moving him gently back and forth and he came good!

None of my tanks are in front of a window....and they all have heaters to keep the temps at a nice comfortable level.