Sign in to follow this  
opis_fin

Food confusion - Need help!

Hi!

:help:

My head is spinning - I'm looking into my options of fish food, as I'm intending to by some tomorrow afternoon to help with my fishless cycle as well as to feed my future fish.

I'm basically aware of the general options of fish food. However, being that I am in Perth, Western Australia I feel as though I'm going to have a rather limited selection to choose from.

One of my local pet stores, as far as I can tell by their online store, only stocks TetraFin Flakes, Crisps and Sinking Mini Sticks. I've read mixed reviews on all 3, but it looks like the flakes seem the best out of them. The only thing I'm concerned about is the air my fish may take in when eating them from the surface of the water. I'm considering buying this food and testing it to see how it goes if I soak it for a bit prior to putting it into the tank. But, I'd rather save the money if I can and buy a good food from the start.

Does anyone have any experience with TetraFin Goldfish Flakes?

Note: I don't plan to just feed my future fish only this type of food. I'd like to give them a variety so - brine shrimp, peas, bloodworms etc...

Thanks for reading, and thank you in advance for any advice shared!!! :D

I know some people on here that use flakes, but I would not recommend them.

Flakes are very low in nutrients to begin with, and when you soak them (you must do this to prevent floating as feeding floating food causes a fish to get swim bladder issues a majority of the time) they lose much of the little nutrients they originally had. Basically, flake food is generally not recommended for goldfish.

There is a good chance that you could order food and have it shipped in, as some of the other Aussies here have done so. Maybe some of you could order together and get a good big pack of Repashy or some other sort of sinking food?

Good luck on the hunt and don't worry too much! You're in good hands here! ;)

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

also, our new sponsor TastyWorms is an awesome way to get affordable priced goldfish food in from the states. really, i worked out it costs less to order through Chris than retailers here in AU.. here's his sponsor section on koko's http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/175-tastywormscom/

I know some people on here that use flakes, but I would not recommend them.

Flakes are very low in nutrients to begin with, and when you soak them (you must do this to prevent floating as feeding floating food causes a fish to get swim bladder issues a majority of the time) they lose much of the little nutrients they originally had. Basically, flake food is generally not recommended for goldfish.

There is a good chance that you could order food and have it shipped in, as some of the other Aussies here have done so. Maybe some of you could order together and get a good big pack of Repashy or some other sort of sinking food?

Good luck on the hunt and don't worry too much! You're in good hands here!

I'll see how I go with ordering it in thank you so much for the info :) I shall hunt around but I won't stress too much... yet lol.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

also, our new sponsor TastyWorms is an awesome way to get affordable priced goldfish food in from the states. really, i worked out it costs less to order through Chris than retailers here in AU.. here's his sponsor section on koko's http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/175-tastywormscom/

Awesome!!! Thanks a bunch, this helps heaps :) I'll check it out some more when I'm at my computer tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Repashy is great! If you can get your hands on that, your fish will love it! And it's super easy! I have one fish that tends to be a little floaty but not with the Repashy. I've only used soilent green but there are other varieties also available.

Good luck. :)