Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

Mixing food?

As some of you know my goldfish was getting gulpy on ProGold so I switched to Repashy... and I miss having her grow like a weed. Has anyone ever crushed ProGold and mixed it in with the Repashy? Do you think it would be okay for a fish that has gulped when on ProGold before?

I actually have wondered this too :) you are posting the things I am thinking about lol

My ryu was floaty on progold but he grew tons. I have wondered if it could be mashed into a powder and mixed in. I guess the question with it is did he float (or gulp in your case) because of its contents or because it was a pellet food? Even with repashy I have to feed 1/2 green bean every day to my two to keep them from getting constipated, but in general they are SO much better all around in terms of buoyancy on this food.

I think Bing's fins and tail are turning more orange on repashy though which I like. Maybe the orange would've continued on progold though since it started with that food in the first place?

I have to wonder if we should try it and see... making sure to keep the green beans on hand.

I've put bloodworms and progold in mine with no problems!

That's wonderful to hear. I definitely think I will be trying this soon then!

I've put bloodworms and progold in mine with no problems!

I like the idea of the bloodworms because they're such a mess unthawed and plopped into the tank, the gel food might hold them in there. Did you use the freezedried or the frozen?

Edited by cmclien

I used frozen, and I used a mortal and pester to crush them into liquid more or less and I did this with the pellets as well.

Why not give one meal of Pro-Gold to 1-2 meals of soilent green daily? That's what I do. No mixing necessary.

When you crush the pellets and add to the premade mix, you are diluting out the relative amount of binders, which will then affect your consistency.

Why not give one meal of Pro-Gold to 1-2 meals of soilent green daily? That's what I do. No mixing necessary.

This is what I've started doing and the floatiness has not returned.

I have added ProGold (whole pellets) to the Repashy also but I think Alex's suggestion is better so long as the floats don't return. :)

When you crush the pellets and add to the premade mix, you are diluting out the relative amount of binders, which will then affect your consistency.

I did it mostly out of curiousity, the consistency is the same (or an indistinguishable difference) between with and without. then again I wasn't adding much to the mix.

My suggestion is based first and foremost on laziness. I don't want to have to do anymore than I have to with the foods, after two crazy years mixing crazy fish gels in the kitchen :rofl

Adding whole pellets is a great idea as well. :)

I personally worry because of the consistency of pellet food causing Clem's gulping before. I think I would rather try powder in the Repashy, if it doesn't alter the consistency too much. Just as long as it gels properly I am alright with it.

My suggestion is based first and foremost on laziness. I don't want to have to do anymore than I have to with the foods, after two crazy years mixing crazy fish gels in the kitchen :rofl

:rofl I just can't stand watching Roos gulp! And she does it even with frozen bloodworms and progold, but she doesn't if they're crushed and then added to the gel. I have no clue why.

:rofl I just can't stand watching Roos gulp! And she does it even with frozen bloodworms and progold, but she doesn't if they're crushed and then added to the gel. I have no clue why.

I think it is because of the consistency, tbh. The gel food seems so much more solid to me.