Salt in Goldfish tank?

FishyMandy

• Supporter

So I've had my goldfish for over 6 years and never used Salt with them, I went to an aquarium seminar recently, and he talked mainly about tropical fish. But at the end he said to me that I have goldfish I should be using aquarium salt.

Does using Aquarium Salt help the fish in any way?

I have used small doses of aquarium salt to help cure some parasite problems with one of my goldfish and they are clearing up well, but as goldfish are freshwater fish it should not be in permanently.

There are some tropicals who do well with brackish water, but no, goldfish definitely do not need salt long term. It helps them osmo-regulate and kill external parasites and stuff like that, as well as heal frayed fins or skin injuries. Usually it is only used to treat sick fish, but even with that there are certain risks to it like with fish who have a past with dropsy. We usually use very small amounts of salt. I wonder why he thought they need salt? They are bred in captivity and came from a freshwater river dwelling fish. Makes no sense! :no:

• Supporter

Thanks, he talked a lot about tropical freshwater fish needing salt and said I should definitely be using it for Goldfish :S He didn't go into why though. maybe next time they hold the seminar I will go back and ask him for more detail :P I was quite happy with the information he gave on stocking and such for tropical fish, he didn't say much about goldfish in general though.

But thanks for clearing that up for me! I was iffy on it but I thought I'd ask here in case I was missing something

I think part of the reason they don't recommend it is that it loses its efficacy over time in treating disease if you leave it in all the time, the thought being maybe external parasites might adjust to the salinity etc and then it won't work well in interrupting their cycle (like ich) etc.

I was also told by a pet store employee to always have salt in my tank too but here mostly I only see it used for external sores, to aid in healing, some disease treatment etc. I'm sure a mod could put it better than that!

Aquariums salt is really useful with goldfish and many tropicals! It increases electrolyte uptake and encourages balanced osmoregulation (as LC said), and discourages certain bacteria an pathogens. In the wild freshwater fish will swim into brackish water to rid themselves or parasites or ailments, so all were doing in changing an environment for them that they would naturally change themselves.