Aquarium Water Changers

FishyMandy

• Supporter

Has anyone ever used something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aqueon-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Gravel-Cleaner-Water-Changer-/360294007542?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item53e33242f6&_uhb=1#ht_2757wt_1178

when doing water changes? Do they work ok?

If so, does anyone know if I get one from somewhere in Australia? I've been looking for a while but only find ones overseas that either don't ship to Australia or want more for shipping than they do for the actual Water Changer and I can't afford that much :(

I have one it's just a different brand (Python) I REALLY like mine!! No more buckets!!

Now I don't hook mine up to the faucet to REMOVE water. I just run the hose out the front door & get PLENTY of suction to remove water AND do a great gravel cleaning! To refill I hook it up.

If you get one when cleaning or removing water ALWAYS watch it carefully a fish can EASILY get pulled in..injured or even killed :(

I have had mine for years & it is a permanent part of my aquarium supplies!!!!!

The Aqueon water changers are fairly heavy, so they are expensive to ship overseas. Basically, once you pass 4 lbs the prices skyrocket. If you look really carefully at the picture, you can see that the ends are not actually attached to the 25 foot of hose. I bet it would be a lot less expensive to ship the ends than to ship the 25 foot of hose. You could probably buy the hose fairly cheaply locally, although I'm not sure you have standard size hoses there, maybe just metric? Let me know if you want to try, I'm placing our next order in 2 weeks.

Edit: Forgot the picture:)

mqyEQl.jpg

Edited by tastyworms

• Supporter

I'll have to check out the prices of the hose itself, figure out the minimum I'll need.

Thanks! It would be good if I could just get the ends if that will cut down on the shipping price. I understand why it's so much. Just can't afford it!

Has anyone ever used something like this http://www.ebay.com....#ht_2757wt_1178

when doing water changes? Do they work ok?

If so, does anyone know if I get one from somewhere in Australia? I've been looking for a while but only find ones overseas that either don't ship to Australia or want more for shipping than they do for the actual Water Changer and I can't afford that much :(

Hi!

Unfortunately python systems aren't available in Aus, however you can make one yourself using a filter pump to suck water out of the tank, through a hose, and into the garden or sink. This is really inexpensive and I have done it a few times myself.

Alternatively, the easiest and more proper pumping method is to buy this pump off of amazon (I personally buy two at a time, since they do break on occasions and you can use parts from the spare one) :

http://www.amazon.co...rds=python+pump

Depending on the faucet you wish to attach it to, the plastic faucet adaptor should fit, however I personally have gone down to bunnings and bought a metal one which is a lot stronger and the thread doesn't wear down.

I bought a 6m plastic hose from my aquarium shop and another attachment piece from bunnings to attach the hose to the pump.

Really, it's just buying the bits and pieces to attach the needed parts, and you may even find you don't need to buy anything depending on what you already have.

Hope this helps :) I will post some pictures here to show you later what mine looks like to give you a better idea. This is a much cheaper option. Realistically, along with the pump, all you will need is the vacuum, the hose attachment, and the hose.

Edited by Narny105

• Supporter

Thanks for the help everyone! It would be really helpful to be able to see your set up Narny! Too bad the actual system isn't available in Australia.. Though I'd be happy just to get a long hose that will put the water I take out straight outside - I have back problems and taking the water outside really kills it! I

Here's my setup. I purchased the pump I linked you to off of amazon, and it is pretty reliable. I am on my second pump in over 6 months mainly due to my carelessness :P

The plastic faucet adapter is pretty good but the thread wears a little, so I use a metal one however since I am temporarily living at my nans I have to use the plastic one.

Here is what you get when you purchase the pump- I have already unscrewed the tap faucet and attached it

3y8aga2y.jpg

This is the attachment I got from bunnings that I use instead of the plastic one the pump comes with

3a5eju9u.jpg

The last thing I bought was an attachment for the hose. I bought the Hose tubing from an aquarium store

yze4a2es.jpg

And lastly, I simply purchased a small vacuum kit (came with a small hose and vacuum attachment)

y6emebyt.jpg

If you take the pump into bunnings they'll find all of the stuff for you :P the hosing should be purchased first before the attachment part is, since the hosing circumference differs. All up, with the tubing and various attachments I spent around $50 and that stuff shouldn't need replacing :) you might not need to buy a vacuum attachment since the current one you have should fit. The main money buster was the hosing, since aquarium shops don't like to come cheap! You can get the clear hosing from bunnings too (much cheaper option- probably will be around $20 for 10m) however you need to make sure it is safe for pottable water, since that will tell you whether or not you can use the hose to fill the tank back up (chemicals in hoses can often leach, such as normal garden hoses that contain chemicals to prevent mould and algae)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Narny105