Sign in to follow this  
Barnacles

Can goldfish eat brine shrimp?

I'm thinking of ordering some brine shrimp eggs from aquabid and growing my own brine shrimp.

I made a container to farm them in. I have a two inch black moor, a three inch fantail and a five inch common.

How big do they get as adults, and how long will it take? I was going to feed them egg yolk a day after they hatch. How long would it take for them to get to a considerable size, like at least 0.25 inch?

They don't get that big, google brine shrimp hatchery and you'll find out any specific info you need or search the forums here. For them to mature only takes a few days and goldfish can eat them, yes.

Edited by GreenTea

Yes, they can eat brine shrimp.

I've never grew them, though. I buy them frozen.

I've bought live Brine Shrimp and fed them to my goldies before, they loved them

I started off buying the freeze dried stuff, but that was awful so now I buy the frozen stuff. I know you have to be careful buying live food because of parasites - is that the case if you grow them at home too?

Decapsulated (Shelless) Brine Shrimp Eggs are suppose to be safer

Have you ever heard of sea monkeys? Yep, those tiny swimmy things are baby brine shrimp. I hope that gives you a size reference. ;)

I got my eggs in the hatchery and they should hatch within 24 hours.

I've heard brine shrimp don't have any nutritional value after they consume their egg sac they are born with, and it only lasts for 24 hours after hatching. Is this true? Because I was going to give mine egg yolk for a week so they could grow larger to feed to my goldfish. My goldfish probably won't be able to eat baby brine shrimp because they are so small.

They do have the most nutritional value in the first twenty-four hours.

They do have the most nutritional value in the first twenty-four hours.

Is it still okay for me to feed them after they are about a week old? Because then they will be about ¼ inch long. My goldfish probably wouldn't be able to find them while they were just born because they would be so small, and they would have to eat lots of them.. so how about I just mix them into their staple diet?

Every day I feed my goldfish this meal twice:

1) Pinch of TetraFin goldfish flakes

2) Pinch of freeze-dried bloodworms

3) Half an algae wafer broken into small bits

4) Two Wardley Pond Pellets

If you gut load your brine shrimp (so to speak) with something soaked in garlic your fish will be able to sniff them out no problem :)