Sign in to follow this  
Mingo

My Betta, Fry.

I saved Fry from a likely death at petco when he was a few weeks old. This is how he started out:

tumblr_m7g9dlZJO21qkxn7to1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m7g9dlZJO21qkxn7to2_1280.jpg

This is him now:

tumblr_mbi7msXa2q1qkxn7to6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mbi7msXa2q1qkxn7to3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mbi7msXa2q1qkxn7to4_1280.jpg

Recently his tail started to go transparent. It wasn't fin rot or anything, but it has since gotten bigger, it's almost completely back to normal now, too.

tumblr_mc4oxkkLnq1qkxn7to1_1280.png

Fry is a grump and kills or tries to kill anything I put in the tank with him. Snails twice his size included. I'm going to try some Nerite snails because the mystery snail was a complete failure. I am thinking he is a mix between a crowntail and a delta, but he's super hard to get photos of when he's flairing, he turns into a fast moving ball of rage. I'm hoping that'll get better as he ages too. Hah.

He has grown into one handsome devil!! He looks a lot like my son's betta . .. well, except my son's betta is a nipper and most of his tail is missing. Your photos remind me of how great he was before he started nipping!

Nice job, he looks great! :)

Beautiful betta! I think he's just a veiltail. Crowntails look much different with how their rays/finnage are and deltas have a larger, more widespread tail. Still, he's handsome nonetheless!

Beautiful! Lovely to see his growth :)

I got a baby betta a couple months ago from petsmart, he is still so teeny. If you have any advice/tips I'd love to hear them :)

He looks great ^^ humble beginnings and all that :D

Beautiful! Lovely to see his growth :)

I got a baby betta a couple months ago from petsmart, he is still so teeny. If you have any advice/tips I'd love to hear them :)

Just watch them, Fry got what I call Float a few times. I don't know if that is the word or not, but when he would be eating, he'd gulp air because he'd attack his food, and then he would get stuck floating at the top of the tank. He would swim as hard as he could to go down further, but get floated right back to the top. Each time this happened I just didn't feed him for a day or two, until he could swim better, after that I started taking more time and making his food sink for him. That helped a lot. He was my first baby betta so I learned a lot with him.

Beautiful betta! I think he's just a veiltail. Crowntails look much different with how their rays/finnage are and deltas have a larger, more widespread tail. Still, he's handsome nonetheless!

I was thinking he had some crown in there because of his doral fin. In the picture where he is face first, in the background you can see how he has those spines that the crowns have, but that, and one spot on his anal fin are the only places he has the rays like that. That's why I figured he was a mix of some kind.

I was thinking he had some crown in there because of his doral fin. In the picture where he is face first, in the background you can see how he has those spines that the crowns have, but that, and one spot on his anal fin are the only places he has the rays like that. That's why I figured he was a mix of some kind.

I have a male and a female veiltail, two male crowntails, and a male halfmoon doubetail betta. Every veiltail can have rays that branch off, making spines. Even my male VT has those. Regardless, bettas can look very different. I still firmly believe that Fry is a VT though. Take these bettas for example.

Spines

1397583C.jpg

No spines

DSCF3440.jpg

They're both still veiltails. See what I mean?

Wow. You did a fantastic job :)

he's a beauty. Do they need to be kept on their own then?

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Edited by orandafan1981

he's a beauty. Do they need to be kept on their own then?

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Yes, males need to be kept alone. Females can be in community groups, but fighting will occur as well. Males can't be kept with any other bettas.

You're right Kiara. His dorsal looks like the first one, and his tail a lot like the second, his is really round, not half moon round, but it has that oval shape of the second. Once the rest of his transparency clears up, he just has a round spot in the middle of his tail now, I'll take another picture of him, try to get him flaring.

Honestly I'd say his tail look like because he is still growing finnage. How old is he if I may ask? His ventrals are short for a male, and his body shape really reminds me of longer finned females, but again this is all very dependent on age.

You're right Kiara. His dorsal looks like the first one, and his tail a lot like the second, his is really round, not half moon round, but it has that oval shape of the second. Once the rest of his transparency clears up, he just has a round spot in the middle of his tail now, I'll take another picture of him, try to get him flaring.

Might he be a roundtail betta?

roundtail1.jpeg