Green wart

Hello!

Let me just start out by saying this is not my fish, or my tank. Just something I saw at petsmart today.

I saw a really pretty oranda at the pet store today, but it had a green wart like thing on it's wen. I'm just curious as to what that thing was! any Ideas?

Sorry if posted in the wrong fourm, was just really curious.

oh LC! you know me better than i know myself.. i would never have found that post :rofl :rofl

yeah, from what she descirbes, fish lice is the first that jumps into mind :)

:rofl

I just looked up lice and found the post you started (: I think it was funny how you called them a happy family! I couldn't pick them off... I'd freak out! I saw green and thought of lice, cause I don't think there is anything else green that can be on fish!!

• Supporter

oh LC! you know me better than i know myself.. i would never have found that post :rofl :rofl

yeah, from what she descirbes, fish lice is the first that jumps into mind :)

I just looked up lice and found the post you started (: I think it was funny how you called them a happy family! I couldn't pick them off... I'd freak out! I saw green and thought of lice, cause I don't think there is anything else green that can be on fish!!

they don't jump and can only move that fast in water.. actually, their own weight out of water cannot be supported by their fragile feet, which is what i observed. so picking them off is not an issue. all you need to do is use your thumb nail or a very gentle scraper and they come off quite easily.

another interesting factor is that in a very small blob of water, basically only enough water to cover the louse, literally just a blob, i added a drop of bleach. that wasn't enough to kill the louse. it was still alive and doing well after 5 mins. so i added another 2 drops of bleach and a few mins later, it was lifeless. so eradication is difficult!. always check the new fish thoroughly before adding it to qt, and then again once the qt process is over.