Sign in to follow this  
Mingo

What kind of snail is best?

I need a very hardy snail for my tanks. I have had two young mystery snails die on me, and I heard they make a lot of waste and have a high mortality rate. That they also get huge. I fed them both algae wafers.

I have one snail I don't know the name of. I call it a cone snail, it just has a cone shaped shell. It hitched a ride in with my ghost shrimp. A while ago it reproduced by itself but it seems the babies have either died or were eaten by now. Not so worried about my ten gallon because that little guy is in there always getting bigger.

But. I have a 2.5 gal with a highly aggressive male betta in there. My second mystery snail was for that tank and he literally badgered the poor thing to the point where he was terrified all of the time. Even when I changed his tank. He lived two weeks after that.

The pet stores I have near me only sell mystery, but I have seen cones and rams horns there for free because they are a neusance. Is there anywhere online I can buy snails? What kind of snails are best? Both tanks are tropical, and both have live plants. A beautiful anubias in the 2.5 gal and 4 amazon swords in the 10. Thanks for any help!

I think a nerite snail would be best because the fish tend not to notice them as much because they are smaller than mystery snails and also have less of the body out of the shell. Also they tend to be lighter so will be able to clean algae off of the plants too. I think they would be fine in a tropical tank. I know that they can live in most types of salty water. If you get two, you can not have brackish water because then they have babies. They will usually lay eggs on the glass or plants but they aren't supposed to hatch. Good like with your search on finding the perfect snail!

Edited by CoralPeachy

I totally agree with the nerite suggestion. I have them and I love them!

And your tanks are tropical, meaning warm, not necessarily salt water, right? They will do fine in tropical tanks. I have 4 of them in my GF tank but when my betta tank starts growing diatoms, they go on a tropical vacation for a week or two until it's cleaned up! :rofl

You can get them online. I'm not sure where. I would just do a google search. I know some members have purchased them on line so hopefully they will come along and let you know where you got them.

I got mine from Petco. Any Petcos near you? :)

I do, it's on my way to and from school

I totally agree with the nerite suggestion. I have them and I love them!

And your tanks are tropical, meaning warm, not necessarily salt water, right? They will do fine in tropical tanks. I have 4 of them in my GF tank but when my betta tank starts growing diatoms, they go on a tropical vacation for a week or two until it's cleaned up! :rofl

You can get them online. I'm not sure where. I would just do a google search. I know some members have purchased them on line so hopefully they will come along and let you know where you got them.

I got mine from Petco. Any Petcos near you? :)

I do! I drive by it to and from school all the time, but their website doesn't say anything about having them, and I don't think I've seen snails at that location. Is it something special I should go in and just ask about?

I suppose not all Petcos carry the same stuff. I do know that my Petco gets there snails on Wednesdays . . . I go that day for the best selection!

I would stop by or give them a call and see if they have nerites. Mine carries both zebra and tiger nerites. Other members have horned nerites (which are smaller than zebra or tiger) and still others have olive. They are different variations. You should google a pic of them. They are really neat looking! :)

Are there Marine and Fresh Water Nerite snails? The website at petco says they carry them, but it says they are marine snails.

Also is there any reason why my profile won't let me edit it? It says I don't have clearance or something.

I believe they can live in either as they need brackish water to reproduce (which is nice cuz they won't reproduce in fresh water . . . But not for lack of trying :rofl) but do just fine in freshwater.

As far as your profile, you may need a minimum of a certain number of posts before you can edit? :idont

Edited by fantailfan1

Okay! Awesome! I'll stop by petco tomorrow after school and see if they have them! I'll get two and if my betta is too mean I'll move them into the same tank. Hopefully they'll work out. My Betta, fry, his tank could really use some help with algea, I don't think scrubbing it off once a week is helping very much. Thank you for all your help!

My local petco carries nerites.

I feel they are the best option for goldy tanks.

They eat algea

They don't reproduce

They don't eat plants

Fits all my criteria.

My Lfs has nerites . I would like to try them but I have mystery snails at the moment

What fish do you have them with? My betta attacked the poor things. :( They did much better with the neighbor's guppies.