Need to euthanize...

jill4joy

Hi,

Some of you may remember me from several postings about my beloved goldfish named Moe. He has not been doing well for a long time, and now he is just hanging on by a thread and not happy or comfortable at all.... I absolutely hate to think about it, but I think it's finally time to help him pass away. I want to do it in the most humane way possible, so I am here to ask for your help in knowing exactly what to do. I saw the pinned post about euthanizing, and I want to use the clove oil method, but I have to know exact measurements, etc... Also, in that post, it is recommended to use clove oil and vodka mixture, but some other places I have heard you should not use the alcohol because it's harder on the fish. Please give me some specific directions on what to do, making sure it's the most humane, painless method possible. I don't want to cause any suffering. He has suffered too long already, and I probably should have done this a while ago, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it. However, it's just to much now and I know it's his time.

Thank you so much for your help. And please pray for me as I grieve this loss. Moe is about 14 years old, so I can hardly imagine life without him.

~ Jill

I'm so sorry. Please know that you have give given Moe 14 great years, which is so much more than many goldfish ever get a chance at. To the end, you are placing his needs first.

You do not need to use the alcohol.

Here is Noga's instruction:

advise to add a minimum of 10 drops per liter (40 drops per gallon) of hot water (to aid dissolving) and mix well with a whisk (Ross 2001 ). The water should turn slightly

cloudy, indicating that the clove oil has emulsified. After the water has cooled to aquarium temperature, add the fish to be euthanized. Have the owner closely watch the fi sh until no breathing

occurs for at least 30 minutes of observation. Then leave the fish in the solution for another 2 hours... (page 397)

I just did it and I'm sobbing up a storm.... Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers, and pray that Mo-mo is at peace and in heaven swimming strong and healthy again....

- Is it normal that he seemed to take a breath every once in a while for maybe 20 minutes? We added more of the water/clove oil mixture hoping it would complete the job, and it's been a while now since we've seen any movement. Even when the underside of his gills moved slightly though, his body did not move at all. Does it make them unconscious basically? He seemed peaceful. Thank you all for being here and for helping me through the years. Mo was SUCH a fighter! I love him so so much! <3

Please keep us in your prayers. Thank you.

I just did it and I'm sobbing up a storm.... Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers, and pray that Mo-mo is at peace and in heaven swimming strong and healthy again....

- Is it normal that he seemed to take a breath every once in a while for maybe 20 minutes? We added more of the water/clove oil mixture hoping it would complete the job, and it's been a while now since we've seen any movement. Even when the underside of his gills moved slightly though, his body did not move at all. Does it make them unconscious basically? He seemed peaceful. Thank you all for being here and for helping me through the years. Mo was SUCH a fighter! I love him so so much! <3

Please keep us in your prayers. Thank you.

I'm so sad reading your post! You did the right thing and I hope you are feeling a little better today.

Maybe at some point when you feel like it you can post your secrets to keeping a 14 year old fish! I think alot of us are in awe, clearly you were doing lots of the right things.

Does it make them unconscious basically?

I believe clove oil can be used as a sedative for things such as wen trimming. Obviously you'd use much less clove oil. I haven't used it as a sedative but I have used it to euthanize. I'll be honest. When I did it, I put the fish in the container of clove oil and left the room. I instructed my husband to watch for gill movement and just let me know when it was over. I couldn't be in there to watch it. I ran to my bedroom, turned on the TV and the fan so I couldn't hear anything as I wasn't sure if he'd put up a fight/splash around. Turns out my husband said he was very still but it did take a while for the gills to stop moving . . .

Sorry for your loss. He is at peace now and swimming with all of the other Kokonuts fish. Hang in there. :heart

Thank you all so much for your kind words and sympathies. I really appreciate it. My heart is heavy, looking at the empty aquarium and not seeing him there.... I can't quite believe it. He's been with me for so many years, and I looked at him and enjoyed him every day.... It's a big empty spot now. But I know he's at peace and not in discomfort anymore, which is a blessing for him.

fantailfan1 - Actually, I did the same thing. I had my mom sit with him and watch him, because I couldn't stand it. She's the one who told me that the underside of his gills moved every once in a while, but his body was perfectly still. Sounds a lot like what your husband told you. Since our guys didn't move or splash around at all, it must be pretty peaceful. My sister is a vet tech and I called her while it was happening, and she said he was probably in a deep unconsciousness.

Thank you all again. I'm sure I will miss my Mo-Mo for quite a while, but life will somehow go on. Not many people really understand how much you can love a fish, but you all do, and I appreciate your support and compassion.

God bless.