Sign in to follow this  
erictruong

Sooo... Ich or fish eggs?

Eggs!! Congratulations!! :D

(just for clarification, ich would show up as small white spots on your fish's body, often beginning on the fins)

Don't those salt spots drop to the bottom of the aquarium after though? :o BUT WHAT DO I DO NOW THAT I HAVE EGGS!?!? I DONT HAVE ANOTHER TANK OR SPONGE FILTER!

Don't those salt spots drop to the bottom of the aquarium after though? :o BUT WHAT DO I DO NOW THAT I HAVE EGGS!?!? I DONT HAVE ANOTHER TANK OR SPONGE FILTER!

The only stage at which ich is visible is on the fish. Trophonts and tromites (the two stages of the life cycle when they are not on the fish) are too small to be seen with the naked eye.

In terms of the eggs, if you can get a container/tank you can try to remove them if you want to try to hatch them (it's possible they are not even fertilized). Either way you'll want to do a big water change since eggs can foul up the water fast. Hopefully others will give you more advice on this since I have not yet had the pleasure of having eggs!

I've had eggs a couple times now. It is definitely possible that they have not been fertilized, so there is no need to worry about baby fishes unless a majority of the eggs have little black dots in them, signalling fertilization. Even then this is your choice whether to keep the eggs or toss them. Since this is a quarantine tank I would recommend a large, thorough water change to make sure you get as many of those eggs out as you can. They do foul water quickly as they deteriorate.

Those be eggs Captain :lol3

I did a 50% water change and raised salt level to 0.3% now the eggs are gone D;

Who ate all the eggs?

The fish ate half of them already and I syphoned out the rest of them :bye2: I don't have the equipment to take care of the eggs or fry =[

They got a bit of nutrients out of them. It's perfectly fine that you siphoned them out instead of keeping them so don't feel too bad, alright? Female goldies lay eggs often in the right conditions even if there aren't any males around and unless you are planning to breed there is no issue in just removing them.

My fish eat eggs all the time (piglets), whatever is left (or broken due to water pressure) I clean out ;)