I feel like this is a silly question, but do Snails hibernate?

FishyMandy

• Supporter

My Mystery Snail, Sherlock hasn't moved for weeks. Normally I can easily tell when they are dead because they stink bad and their 'door' will move when I try to open/push it.

His door wont move and he doesn't stink at all. But he hasn't come out or move from the spot for at least 3 weeks. Occasionally I think I see his door open slightly and I can see a tiny bit of him and he ends up upside down but I wasn't sure if that was him moving or the fish bumping him. Right now his door is really far down and there is a heap of shell before you can see his door, like it's really tightly closed.

Is it possible that he is still alive and gone this long without moving? :S

As far as I know only a few species of snails hibernate and they do it in the wild. Apple snails can be weird and just hang out in one spot for awhile, but I would not call what you're talking about typical.

If you press on the door is it mushy with little to no resistance? He might be dead if so.

Nope, it doesn't move at all if I push on it :S It's really weird, I'm scared to take him out if he isn't dead but this is the first time I haven't been sure!

Well if you take him out for a second it won't kill him, they lay their eggs above the water. If you remove him from the water, he should definitely react.

• Supporter

I've taken him out to look at his door, he doesn't react at all! But none of my snails have ever reacted unless I fiddled with their 'door'! I've never been this confused about a snail in my life lol