Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike and Linda

Question about Repashy

Guest Mike and Linda

Do any of you just throw big chunks of repashy into the goldie tank and let them eat what they want.

Do you cut small pieces and feed by hand.

I only make about 15ml of powder a month. It makes 3 times the amount of food. I make my squares about 10mm square.

I have just one fish, so I cut the food into small pieces and feed one at a time throughout the day. I squish it flat so it's easier for my fish to get in his mouth.

If I give them a big chunk to eat what they want, bits break off when they're nibbling on it. Not so great for my water. I now serve in sizes they can fit in their mouth now. :Scoff:

It's all up to you how to feed it. I find small bite sized cubes to be the best for goldfish, that way they won't make such a mess :)

I feed larger cubes than what she can eat, so it takes longer but doesn't cloud the water as much as one big block. I find that if Clementine has to work to eat her food she doesn't eat as much, though whether it is pure laziness or not on her part is beyond me.

i cut mine into small bite size bits so my smallest moor doesn't have a hard time ;)

I have mine cut into little flat squares. I keep a little cup of fresh in the frig & the rest in a freezer bag (in the freezer, of course). I take a fresh piece & tear off about 2/3 of it & dunk it into the water (They are already in Feeding Frenzy mode) & I kind of squeeze it into pieces. They gobble it up....usually a little makes it to the bottom...where the BN Plecos are waiting!! NO WASTE AT ALL!!

i cut mine into small bite size bits so my smallest moor doesn't have a hard time ;)

Yes, that is something to keep in mind too, when cutting it into small cubes. If you have differently sized fish in the same tank, make sure it is cut small enough so the smallest fish doesn't miss out while the bigger ones gobble all the food up :)

I cut it into bite size pieces. It make less of a mess.

I am using mixed sizes. Smaller ones to get them started and then a couple larger chunks to keep them foraging for a little while. My tank is currently so overstocked that I have to do frequent large changes anyway so the mess is not much of an issue.

Yes I throw in big chunks. I like having the fish feed naturally. The nice thing about this food is that it doesn't mess the water when the fish bite off pieces, unlike homemade gel food. Even little babies have no problem nibbling it.

I cut mine into little tiny squares and feed it throughout the day. I can't throw in a big chunk because my ryu would eat the whole thing in one bite probably, not chew it at all, leave nothing for my oranda and then lay on the bottom of the tank constipated! :no:

Edited by cmclien

I cut mine into little tiny squares and feed it throughout the day. I can't throw in a big chunk because my ryu would eat the whole thing in one bite probably, not chew it at all, leave nothing for my oranda and then lay on the bottom of the tank constipated! :no:

I throw in one chunk per fish to get them started, and then the big pieces. They are thin, about 1/8 inch but a good half inch square or more. Even my tamasaba can't get a full big piece in her mouth and she amazes me by what she can get in there.

I just heard of this food recently and ordered some. What type do you all use, and what do you keep it in? It is good stuff right? It has not arrived yet..

I ordered this~ Repashy Soilent Green Aufwuchs Feeding Fish Food (Gel Premix)

Thats the stuff! I boil the water in the microwave (to cut down on the smell!) then I add it to the mix, it firms up super fast, like minutes, so just stir it well and let it sit, it comes right out like a jello mold, (but easier) ;) Just me, but I use a tiny bit less water so its a little firmer and easier to slice up (make sure your water is chlorine free, and you might want to have a couple of specific containers that you don't use soap in, just rinse and dry). I also have a knife I only use for slicing it and I do it on a paper plate which I throw away.

I slice mine into approx 1/2 inch by 1 inch cubes and double sandwhich baggy it then put it in the freezer. I just pull out a couple squares as I need them and chop them up. I personally keep them in baggies, but you can keep them in any kind of container that you want.

Your fish will love it :)

Edited by cmclien