Sign in to follow this  
cmclien

Repashy SG is good for a fish with digestive issues (constipation and floatiness)

I started repashy soilent green about 2.5 weeks ago with my 2 GF. My thoughts are if you have a fish with constipation/floatiness or just a poor digestive system this food is a good switch from pellets. Its not a cure-all as I hoped it might be. I still have to be super careful to not overfeed. I am dividing up about .75gram between the two of them along with about 1/4" green bean and a pea every day as the repashy wasn't enough by itself to get rid of his constipation. Any more food then that and it starts over. Their air eating is way down though they still do it after meals.

What I've noticed the most improvement in is probably his floatiness that I have been very worried would turn into permanent swim bladder issues. They both swim throughout the tank way more than they used to. At night, after I turn off the hood light, he spends the rest of the night slowly cruising a couple inches above the bottom of the tank, going round and round the tank. Its very nice to see this. She still floats in the current at night while she sleeps but she has never had the digestive issues as him.

I have been hesitant to add any other different foods in yet. I need to figure out the exact amount I can give him before seeing the constipation/floaty issues but I think I'm close at .75gram divided into 3 meals along with veggies. I am definitely finding out less is more with food with them.

If you have a fish with these kind of issues, repashy is worth trying.

Have you tried frozen bloodworms? They would be a great source of protein for your guys if they agree with them well. I'm happy the repashy has helped so far though, good luck!

I have some in my freezer, haven't tried them yet. Do you just thaw out the cube in a cup and feed the little bits of the worms?

What I have said all along is that the soilent green is good for all goldfish, because the composition of the food very well matches with what might be ideal for them. It's not just for floaters. It's good for everyone.

Of course it will help the floaters, but it's not a cure-all. You will still have to be careful with how much you feed at any one time.

Even though it is not a cure-all I have noticed that smaller feedings throughout the day help A LOT and on top of that the longer you feed Repashy the better the SBD symptoms get. Its been a few months for me now and I have been doing larger feedings without any signs of floatiness.

Just keep at i, it gets better :) and when you do get a symptom just feed a pea or two to help them out

vwashbur, that's very true, and I really have not had any issues either. I can even add Pro-Gold because to this fish's diet, which was a no-no before. :)

However, I know that for some, it might be too late for such a dramatic reversal, possibly because the issue had been unchecked for too long? I'm not sure. Even then, it will help, but the amount of food intake becomes especially important, and multiple small meals, you indicated, are best. :)

Even though it is not a cure-all I have noticed that smaller feedings throughout the day help A LOT and on top of that the longer you feed Repashy the better the SBD symptoms get. Its been a few months for me now and I have been doing larger feedings without any signs of floatiness.

Just keep at i, it gets better :) and when you do get a symptom just feed a pea or two to help them out

How many times a day do you feed? I was thinking of spreading it into 4 meals since I'm home alot anyways.

4 meals sounds like a great idea. Many small meals throughout the day are much healthier for the fish :)

How many times a day do you feed? I was thinking of spreading it into 4 meals since I'm home alot anyways.

Currently I feed 3 times a day because I've got really busy and don't have time for more. During the summer when I was able to I did 4-5 smaller feedings. If my fish with SBD got floaty I fed a pea. Consistency is the trick too. I've finally built him up enough that I can supplement one feeding a day with a food that used to make him float.