Sign in to follow this  
kortniee

That shy kid with fins for days

I just did a re-scaping of my betta tank; my stem plants had gotten a little out of control so I cut them back quite severely. My betta, Roland, is kind of mad at me right now, because his tank now looks like this:

roland10125.jpg

Which means there's a good 3/5 of the tank he's no longer comfy in. But the plants will grow back sooner rather than later. And I can't let something like a grumpy betta stop me from taking lots of pictures!

For the record, here's what he looked like when I got him in June:

100_1768.jpg

And here are a bunch of pictures from today!

Probably the best overall shot I got, but with some really awkward color compression. :/

roland10121.jpg

Runnin' off to hide now:

roland10126.jpg

Plant: does not offer superior cover.

roland10123.jpg

Poor kid just has way too much tail to hide it effectively.

roland10124.jpg

Another couple shots of skulking around behind plants:

roland10122.jpg

roland10127.jpg

As you can see, Roland's fins have become somewhat ridiculous. He moves much more slowly now than he did when I first got him. He's the most laid -back betta ever and never flares at anything, so I never get to see his fins all out and displayed; I'm sure it'd be quite a sight. He still makes bubble nests like a fiend, though, so it seems he's happy, even if he does have to drag around all that junk all the time. :)

Edited by Courtney

I am really not sure how those pictures ended up different sizes.... sigh. Technology.

He is gorgeous and that tank looks great! He has nothing to complain about. Just show him a pic of some bettas in a vase. :rofl

I am jealous of his tail as my male betta is a nipper and his tail is always short now. As soon as he get some good growth, he nips it back off. :(

Roland is one handsome fish! :)

He is beautiful, and his tank looks great! Bettas are so funny, especially when rearranging the tank.

My girl will usually get really angry afterwards, patrolling the tank, making a mental list of everything I screwed up, and plans her revenge. :rofl

Wow. Those are some amazing fin growth in just a few months!

I hope Roland forgives you soon :rofl

I do love the tank very much.

I like :)

He will get over it I'm sure :( I Love his new wardrobe as well :) very handsome ;)

What a handsome guy. Nice finnage! My betta never flared until I put a nerite snail in there, it was the oddest thing. LOL I see you have one in there, so that won't work. I would have loved to seen a picture of the tank before the trim. Looks really nice Courtney. :)

Whoa, those fins are amazing! It's like he's wearing a gown! (Don't tell him I said that -- I don't want him to get a complex.) :)

The tank looks great too. What is the small plant in the front around the rock?

He is gorgeous and that tank looks great! He has nothing to complain about. Just show him a pic of some bettas in a vase. :rofl

I am jealous of his tail as my male betta is a nipper and his tail is always short now. As soon as he get some good growth, he nips it back off. :(

Roland is one handsome fish! :)

Thank you! It is sad to see bettas ruin their own beautiful tails. I am glad Roland doesn't do this, though I do sometimes feel sorry for him carrying around all that baggage.

He is beautiful, and his tank looks great! Bettas are so funny, especially when rearranging the tank.

My girl will usually get really angry afterwards, patrolling the tank, making a mental list of everything I screwed up, and plans her revenge. :rofl

I don't think Roland is the revenge type. I think he's more the kind of guy who will get mad at you and give you the silent treatment and under no circumstances will he attempt to tell you what's wrong. Bettas are so fun, aren't they? They come with Genuine People Personalities. :rofl

Wow. Those are some amazing fin growth in just a few months!

I hope Roland forgives you soon :rofl

I do love the tank very much.

Thank you Alex! I am astounded at the fin growth. Glad you like the tank!

I like :)

He will get over it I'm sure :( I Love his new wardrobe as well :) very handsome ;)

Thanks Shell! I shall pass your compliments on to the drama king. :)

What a handsome guy. Nice finnage! My betta never flared until I put a nerite snail in there, it was the oddest thing. LOL I see you have one in there, so that won't work. I would have loved to seen a picture of the tank before the trim. Looks really nice Courtney. :)

Roland doesn't currently have any snails, sadly. The tank really needs one. But he did have three at one point and none of them meant anything to him.

Before the trim, the plants looked more or less like the second picture here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100110-my-new-fluval-flora/page__view__findpost__p__1246822

Except with more going on near the surface. :)

Whoa, those fins are amazing! It's like he's wearing a gown! (Don't tell him I said that -- I don't want him to get a complex.) :)

The tank looks great too. What is the small plant in the front around the rock?

Thanks for the kind words! I am not sure Roland is the kind of guy who cares if he's wearing a gown, but I'll keep quiet just to be safe. I think the plants around the rock are cryptocoryne parva. They have been very low maintenance.

Thanks! I have some crpyt parva, but it's not growing. I felt better after a visit to the lfs last week. Their plant expert showed me some in one of their show tanks, and it had had minimal growth after two years. Is yours growing?

It's growing, mostly in the form of adding new leaves to the existing clusters (I have heard it will send out whole new runners, but I haven't had that happen). If you look at the link I posted for Amazing Dan, you can see how it looked a few months ago and compare that picture to the one I posted at the beginning of this thread... there are definitely more leaves now.

His fins are crazy!!! Holy man.....

Your tank is so pretty though! Even with it trimmed back it is so nice and green.... I just love it!

Tank looks nice. Next time I would love to see overgrown as that is my favorite kind of tank. lol

Roland is stunning.

your betta is gorgeous..and the tank looks fabulous too :)

That is ridiculous growth for only a couple of months! If only he can give some laid back lessons to some of our fin nippers... Sigh... Such a gorgeous copper boy (: I am sure he will stop pouting soon and find that he enjoys the plants that way :rofl

Pouting Betta :lol3

wow, that is some serious finnage!! The tank is looking awesome :)