Sign in to follow this  
larryngu

Can proper goldfish keeping be done on a budget?

Too funny, I am the only one who said it was expensive lol

All I know is I bet if I added it all up for all the start-up, including wrong equipment and decorations I am positive I have spent at least $1,000 on this little adventure.

That said, now that its all been spent I shouldn't be spending much going forward (I think) :D;)

I definitely agree that initial setup can be expensive, particularly if you buy equipment new. Plus there's lots of things you don't know as a noob, so you often end up spending more than you have to because you buy the wrong equipment etc. In the beginning, I spent money on a 10 gallon kit, gravel, hollow ornaments etc. Found out these were no good, bought a used tank... it leaked, tried to reseal but was not very good at it :P upgraded to a new 30 gallon, had to buy a new light for that etc. Then my fish were too big for the 30 gallon, upgraded to a 40 gallon, had to buy a new stand, new light etc. etc. Had I known what I was getting myself into initially, I would have gone for the 40 gallon straight off and avoided all the other purchases.

Well thanks to this forum I kept bringing back the aquariums I purchased because once I had the fish in it I kept thinking............they are going to out grow this. So in the long run I did finally settle on the 55g. My daughter had the 5 1/2 g. then we got the 29g. then the 45g that was too tall, then the 40g. then finally have the 55g. Thank goodness for good friends to help this crazy person (me) out. Thank goodness the petstore employee's know and like me. So in the long run I did save a ton of money from not purchasing a lot of aquariums. I was able to take them back and just upgrade them prior to expired receipt. But it still was expensive. Like I had said and others, the start up is expensive. Someone said something like save up money for this and that......that is still an expense coming out of your pocket because you had to save up for it. Sometimes I just don't have the money to save up for anything because "life" happens. I do believe that the expense of fishkeeping will be hardly nothing once I get the meds/extra qt heater out of the way. Do I regret any of this? Of course not. Having any kind of pet is expensive initialy. Then it's just keeping up on the yearly costs.....for any pet. I'm hoping for our 4 fish I will have "everything" purchased by the new year. So here's to my fish NOT getting sick now. cmclien: I too have spent that kind of money. Big purchases, big dollars, small purchase after small purchase adds up. Edited by 4prettyfish

I saw some members suggested that buying used equipment can be an option.

I checked in tank and equipment and not too much on the subject of buying used.

So I started a thread " Share any knowledge you have on buying equipment and tank".

http://www.kokosgold...-and-equipment/

Please share your insight.

Sure if you find some good deals then yea go for it. But make sure it works, make sure it doesnt leak.

Also look for sales like when Petco has there $ sale going on. I also keep parts off of filters that have died on me, so I can use them as replacements for other filters.

What does SW tank mean? Thanks for the great tip on keeping parts off of filters. I wouldn't have thought of that.

^ salt water ;)

Yeah like my AC 70 got damaged by my TMS so I kept the intake tube for extensions for the next one... I had an extra motor from another filter... so I now have a junk drawer for fish stuff :teehee

I know of all the fish I have had goldfish expense is pretty close to SW tank expense. They are just as hard to keep too. All pets require money to take care of if you want to treat them right and with respect. :twocents

:exactly

Very well said, Koko!

I have spent a lot on my fish, but I don't think someone has to. The key is knowledge -- if I were doing it again, it wouldn't cost nearly as much.

But next time, I'll know just what to do. ;)

So true, and applicable to having gained experience in any situation. :)

I made all those same mistakes!

I think this is called gaining experience. :rofl

Wisdom is costly in some form or another :rofl

I have a couple bins of miscellaneous fish stuff/parts, much of which I don't even know what it goes to anymore! Not to mention the extra airline tubing, air stones, check valves, gravel I don't use, etc!

Guess it could be worse. A friend's husband is really into cars and switches out car parts all the time so their garge is full of tires, exhaust pipes,etc. At least GF stuff is smallish . . . :)

I think the basic set up has to be the initial big cost,

i spent the last year upgrading all my original stuff from a 30 long from a friend used, to a couple of 20 gallons one used one new,then upgraded them to a couple of 29 high when pet co had the dollar per gallon sale,then hubby finally gave in and got me my 55 gallon for valentines day,and I sold the 2, 20 gallons to upgrade my filters from the aqueons to the marinelands :) I still have one of the 29 highs in use the other went to my daughter. I probably spend around 25-30 weekly on things like prime,bloodworms,airline tubing and stones, decor,but i always have a wish list going...so I say yes you can have and keep goldfish properly on a budget :)

I spent a good bit on set up. But my tank is aginst a wall thar is situated so it is hard to decorate. They are one of the main spots visualy in the living room. The brightness they add makes up for the cost. I also changed things alot at first so some expense could have been saved with better planning. Also my Mom is super picky and does not want anything used or not listed specificatly for fish in their tank, to avoid then getting sick. She thinks if people are selling the stuff something bad mat have went wroong with the fish it was used for, including no other fish less it comes sick. They make me happy so are worth the mony. The fish them selves were less than 10 bucks. They got stuff though. LOL

Edited by neeceee2

I guess to add my two cents worth, i think most people jump into buying a goldfish because we're sucked into the sterotype that they're a cheap, easy pet, that requires nothing more then a tiny bowl of water and a ton of flake food. Its super easy to see a fish, want it, spend a few bucks on supplies, and as soon as something goes wrong we google search it and find out we didn't know anything about the pet we just acquired. Before you buy ANY pet you should always do plenty of research, look on the internet, read any book you can find, find people who own the same kind of pet and talk to them about it and share their experience. I think research would save so many people from these costly mistakes and save the lives of many innocent animals.

To digress, I think it's TOTALLY possible to keep goldfish on a budget, if you're willing to to a little work. Tank setups can be purchased on craigslists, or found cheap from your local newspaper, you just need to make sure that the tank holds water, NEVER be afraid to ask them to check the seals before you purchase it. The same goes with any other electronic you buy, like the hood lights, filters, or bubblers, test them all before you leave

Worst comes to worst, you can always compromise with a rubbermaid tote for a tank. For lighting (while it might not be as attractive) you could always use a shop light with a clamp.

Goldfish food is fairly cheap depending on what you feed with, and it's super easy and cheap to make your own homemade gel food.

Your medicines, water conditioners, and test kits should be the only thing that really set you back, its never a bad idea to have a fully stocked fishy medicine cabinet, fishy ailments seem to pop up at the worst possible time when you're least prepared. If you avoid buying from retail stores and shop around online, you can find great deals and save on shipping, petmountain.com and drfosters are two of the best imo.

I'm all about keeping fish on a dime; it can be done!