Adding Nerites!

Sakura

After a 2 week quarantine during which I changed 100% of the water every day, my snails were finally ready to go in my tank! They have already eaten a lot of algae and diatoms off the glass and no escape attempts have been made even though I don't have a cover on my tank. So far so good. :) It's a lot of fun to see them making zig-zag tracks all over the glass.

This is my tank after letting the algae/diatoms grow for 3 weeks...

IMG_2562WM.jpg

IMG_2573WM.jpg

IMG_2574WM.jpg

IMG_2578WM.jpg

IMG_2589WM.jpg

IMG_2596WM.jpg

IMG_2597WM.jpg

Sorry about the grainy photos... technical difficulties. lol

The red spot snail seems to spend more time near the surface than the zebra one does. The zebra one is always out and about all over the tank floor, but the red spot one seems to prefer the top of the tank. Just an interesting observation, I'm not sure whether it means anything or not!

Very cute! The tracks are just awesome. I enjoyed the music as well :)

You will see that they will demolish all that in quite a short period of time. I'm sure you know this already, but make sure you have a ready calcium source for them. :)

Seeing this has spurred me to go pick up some more Nerites. I have a major brown algae outbreak in my 55 and need some Nerite power.

Seeing this has spurred me to go pick up some more Nerites. I have a major brown algae outbreak in my 55 and need some Nerite power.

Nerite Power, GO!!!! (cue super hero music)

Lol sorry, it's past my bedtime and I am quite silly. :rofl:

Cute! Haha they just had to try and see if they were food! Your snails are adorable. I saw some zebra nerites at the store the other day and thought of grabbing one, but decided a lidless tank might not be a good idea. Are you worried about escape attempts at all?

Haha, awesome video! :D

Thanks!

Very cute! The tracks are just awesome. I enjoyed the music as well :)

You will see that they will demolish all that in quite a short period of time. I'm sure you know this already, but make sure you have a ready calcium source for them. :)

Thanks Alex!

Nerites are the best. they keep my 30 gal absolutely spotless, I have on in my 20 as well but he doesn't munch as fast!

Maybe you need a second one for your 20 gallon tank then! :yeah:

Nerites are awesome! :D I wish I could get myself some nerite power :P

Great video and pictures :)

Thank you Alex!

Cute! Haha they just had to try and see if they were food! Your snails are adorable. I saw some zebra nerites at the store the other day and thought of grabbing one, but decided a lidless tank might not be a good idea. Are you worried about escape attempts at all?

Yep, everything is a potential food item to a goldfish, lol. They haven't tried to escape yet, and I'm hoping they won't. I've been looking for them a few times each day to make sure they're still in there!

They are so pretty! But I do love the horned nerites best. They are smaller and do a great job cleaning plant leaves. :)

I was considering horned nerites, but I am positive that they'd fit in my fishes mouths, and I don't want to leave it up to chance that they'll be deterred by the horns! I would be constantly worrying, lol.

wow they really are great little munchers ;) how did you find the patients to let your tank get so algae covered ;) I have a hard time not wiping the back off ;) lol

I don't know, lol! Whenever people came over to my house I felt the need to explain that the tank wasn't dirty, I was just letting the algae grow for the snails. :lol3

Their snail trails look like thumb prints! My tiger nerite tracks just look like someone is using the Microsoft Paint eraser tool on the algae lol.

That's really interesting. Maybe your nerite moves slower and doesn't leave any spaces in-between his scrape marks, and that's why. :hmm

Very well done as usual sakura :) You're nerites are lovely. I'll be interested in seeing how fast the food source is depleted in a couple of weeks :)

Thanks Una! I'll definitely update once there is noticeable change.

I want some Nerites too thank you for the pics and video :). I was doing some reading on Nerites and it said that the Olive ones will hang out at the top as a sign of water problems. The website said the Olive ones were the ones that would do this.

You were right about the slow-moving thing. Mine is prettyyyy sloooow.... but always eating!

Oh! I forgot to add my tiger/red spot nerite likes hanging at the bottom, where all the algae is. I think it's an individual thing, since your zebra is happy at the bottom. :D

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Here is the Nerite site:

www.azgardens.com/c-20-freshwater-aquatic-snails.aspx

Are you planning on ordering nerites from there? If you are, I wouldn't because I have read many bad reviews from there.

No, I was just reading their information but thank you for the advice :)

sakura, if you think your tank is dirty, I'm glad you didn't see mine when I took my nerites out for 3 weeks to treat the main tank! :yikes

I have 3 zebras and 1 tiger (is that the same as red spot?) and they do a great job in my tank. Occasionally they go on a tropical vacation to the betta tank for a little clean up action!

Great video and I still want your fish! :)

Awesome! I'm looking forward to adding nerites soon myself :)

Nice, you will like them!

I want some Nerites too thank you for the pics and video :). I was doing some reading on Nerites and it said that the Olive ones will hang out at the top as a sign of water problems. The website said the Olive ones were the ones that would do this.

That's interesting, thanks!

they are so cute :) I can't wait to add mine...although they won't have nearly as much to eat!!

Take pictures when you do! :)

sakura, if you think your tank is dirty, I'm glad you didn't see mine when I took my nerites out for 3 weeks to treat the main tank! :yikes

I have 3 zebras and 1 tiger (is that the same as red spot?) and they do a great job in my tank. Occasionally they go on a tropical vacation to the betta tank for a little clean up action!

Great video and I still want your fish! :)

What can I say... I'm a clean freak perfectionist! LOL So it looks horribly dirty to me. :lol3 I broke down and wiped off just the front glass a couple days ago so I could see my fish better! lol

I think the tan and black striped ones are referred to as tiger and/or zebra. I've only heard of the red spotted ones being called red spot or sometimes tracked. But I am far from being a snail expert, so I don't know! I'm sure there are probably tons of common names for each of them.

It drove me insane letting the diatoms grow and grow. But I figured the snails would enjoy it and I didn't have any special company coming over! If I did I wouldn't have left it. The only people who saw it are people who already know I'm a little odd when it comes to fish tanks! :)

H,mmmmmm interesting on the names. Whatever they're called I have the ones with stripes and one with spots.

It drove me insane letting the diatoms grow and grow. But I figured the snails would enjoy it and I didn't have any special company coming over! If I did I wouldn't have left it. The only people who saw it are people who already know I'm a little odd when it comes to fish tanks! :)

H,mmmmmm interesting on the names. Whatever they're called I have the ones with stripes and one with spots.

Haha, my sister came over and said "Your fish tank is dirty!". Non-aquarium people don't realize that the water can be perfectly clean even if there are diatoms or algae on the glass. :lol3