Sign in to follow this  
Stratt14goldies

Transfering Goldfish

Hello everyone. My tank is finally cycled! I'm going to put Cary in the main tank today.

Am- 0 Ni- 0 Na- 5.0 ph- 8.0 ( main tank)

My problem is that the ph in the QT is 7.4

Is that a problem?

That's a pretty big jump. I would take about 25% of the water out of your QT tank and add some tank water to raise the pH of your QT tank slowly. Do this 2 or 3 times (over several hours) until your tank pH and your QT pH are within 0.2.

Any idea why there is such a large difference between the 2 tanks? When you replace the main tank water after moving some of it to your QT tank, where will that water come from and what is its pH?

My only guess is that the QT tank is a much smaller volume, so it doesn't have a large buffer system and is more susceptible to a dip in the pH.

That's a good suggestion from fantail! The idea is to just slowly acclimate the fish to the main tank. You could even put the fish in a similar to the kind LFS's use, float the fish in the main tank, and slowly add little amounts of water from the main tank to the bag, whichever you think is easier.

I've done something similar to that with a bucket. I put the fish and some of the water (as little as possible while still keeping the fish comfy) from the place where the fish was originally into a bucket, then I add amounts of water from the tank they're moving into to the bucket until the parameters are closer. Works pretty well in my experience.

You just did water changes in the bigger tank, didn't you? Did you change water in the qt at the same time? I'm wondering about your water hardness. You might need to check your kh and gh.

He said in a previous post that his water source pH is 8.0. :)

How's it going? Are you slowly acclimating him to the higher pH?

He said in a previous post that his water source pH is 8.0. :)

How's it going? Are you slowly acclimating him to the higher pH?

Thanks!

In that case you might have to use a buffer. I think crushed coral in the filter would be a great idea, to keep the pH from dropping. This is what I do to stabilize my pH at about 7.5 because my water is very soft.

Works like a charm! :)

I would suggest just to make sure what is going on.....

Get a gallon jug, place an air stone in it with tap water let it set to 24 hours and test it... Also Test your KH... before and after... This will give us a base line of what is going on. Then we can help you from there :thumb:

Sorry I have not updated my progress. Yesterday, I looked at this thread seeing that fantailfan1 replied. I did as she said, and I got the ph to match. I waited a while, and put Cary in a bag to float in the main tank. Today she is doing great.

I kind of feel ignorant for not waiting to see what the rest of you guys said. Was I?

Edited by TeleSC

Sorry I have not updated my progress. Yesterday, I looked at this thread seeing that fantailfan1 replied. I did as she said, and I got the ph to match. I waited a while, and put Cary in a bag to float in the main tank. Today she is doing great.

I kind of feel ignorant for not waiting to see what the rest of you guys said. Was I?

Nope, you should only listen to me!! Always. :rofl

If it were me, I probably would have waited to get another opinion and make sure at least a couple non-moderators agree. Once you've been around for a while you kinda learn who you can trust and who you should wait for more answers. :) Personally, I've been around here a looong time but that doesn't necessarily mean I know the answers! There are several members who have been members here much less time than I have but who know a whole lot more than me!! In general, I usually only answer questions like that if I"m relatively certain I'm correct or at least what I'm suggesting won't do any harm. On the other hand, I've seen some people kind of overstep there bounds and answered questions incorrectly only to be corrected by mods shortly thereafter.

Glad it worked out for you! Pics please when you get a chance! :)