my baby yabbies

goldylove

this is a picture of one of my yabbies (aussie freshwater crayfish) this one is called barbosa & he is about 3cm long at the moment. his buddy, mr.grabby, is a little smaller & is missing half a claw. he was being anti-social when i was trying to take pictures of him! might be able to get a good shot of him later on. they were destined to be turtle food til i picked them up from the pet shop today & they now reside in a luxurious heated tank all of their own.

27102012421.jpg

Edited by goldylove

Neat lil' critter!! How big is he & how big will he get? Wouldn't they eat the fish if kept in a community tank?

I might would keep one if they don't get big. But I wouldn't want to plunk him in a tank with other tankmates only to have him chow down on them. I am curious!!

jeana, i think they can grow up to 15-20 cm long?? they are ok when they are small with fish but as they get bigger they can be quite the predator with those claws! on the flip side, if your fish are much larger they will probably try to eat the baby yabbies. i keep mine separate, just in case!

if they are vastly different in size, a larger yabby may also eat smaller yabbies if they are not adequately fed. they are usually vegetarian but also opportunistic. i feed them vegetables as you would a fish.

they are fun to watch. the way they groom themselves & eat is interesting. they pick up tiny pieces of gravel with their leg claws & (i assume it's what they are doing) clean the algae off it. their eyes also "blink" back inside their body momentarily (like a crab?) which i found surprising. very pleasing little creatures for $2.50 a piece! it's a shame they are used for food. then again, it's kind of a shame that any creature is used for food but i'm a hypocrite in saying so when i'm not a vegetarian myself!