Sign in to follow this  
ichthius

Japanese Shubunkin (London type tail)

Here's one of the fish I imported as well as a painting imported from Japan. Over 100 years separate the fish and the painting.

http://goldfishgarag...-tail-fish.html

Best fishes

David

www....................com

Edited by Ichthius

that's amazing!.. i really like how similar they look after that many years :) it's nice to see some fish are still "fish" :) not that i'm knocking fancies.. they're my faves.. but you know eh?.. :)

The color and patterns are unreal. The shubunkin's likeness is amazing to the painting. Wow. :)

http://...................blogspot.com/2012/10/1910-hand-painted-japanese-goldfish.html

Here are the other paintings from the collection. I had to battle someone from Germany I get them but it was well worth it as these are one of a kind originals. They even have thumb tack holes in the corners. By far my most prized goldfish art.

Impressive!

that's amazing!.. i really like how similar they look after that many years it's nice to see some fish are still "fish" not that i'm knocking fancies.. they're my faves.. but you know eh?..

I actually find the wildtype tail very refreshing. I can think of a shubunkin I've had with a short tail. I'm trying to get more for the next import.

There's also something going on with the color. It has no metallic scales so it maybe a colored Matt but the eyes are metallic.

that's amazing!.. i really like how similar they look after that many years it's nice to see some fish are still "fish" not that i'm knocking fancies.. they're my faves.. but you know eh?..

I actually find the wildtype tail very refreshing. I can think of a shubunkin I've had with a short tail. I'm trying to get more for the next import.

There's also something going on with the color. It has no metallic scales so it maybe a colored Matt but the eyes are metallic.

so there is a calico colour pattern with no metallic scales.. are you sure? that's the first time i've heard of that. weird :blink:

so there is a calico colour pattern with no metallic scales.. are you sure? that's the first time i've heard of that. weird

It's called colored Matt. They are the recessive homozygous fish often called pinkie Matts an usually have black button eyes. In some populations you can get wonderful colors in the Matt's. it's actually very commercially desirable because you can breed your calicos (heterozygous) to your Matts (homozygous) and not have to cull any homozygous dominant brown wild types in a calico line.

Edited by Ichthius

Very cool, I love "both" the new fish!

These colored matts, do they have not a single metallic scale? Not trying to hijack your topic, but I'm just curious about my big shubunkin now. She only has a few metallic scales, but silver eyes. Her offspring are pinkies similar to the ones in your video, with some orange and very little black coloring, and almost no metallic scales. They have silver eyes, except for one which has one silver and one button eye.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

By definition, a matt has no metallic scales. I believe they all have button eyes. (The word "all" scares me, LOL.) Most of my nacreous fish have only a scattering of metallic scales.

amazing, that's one very attractive fish!.. and i too can't wrap my brain around no shiny scales for a fish to be calico :blink:

we can leave it to the experts and just enjoy the results :rofl :rofl

"All" is anathema to scientists :rofl

More video

http://goldfishgarag...-shubunkin.html

The whole calico Matt transparent system can be very confusing. Dave Mandley has written a lot about it. I try not to think about it to much. ;)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a video? Reloaded the page several times. oO

the link on kokos is to his offsite blog, then the vid is just a one liner link, i missed it first too. you just need to click the link, there is no thumbnail.

Sorry I'll imbed the video when I'm in from working with the fish. Power washing tanks, water changes, winterizing. All done on phone.

Edited by Ichthius

That's alright! Power washing tanks sounds like a blast LOL

That is such a beautiful fish, thanks for posting the link again!

The colors on this guy are just amazing :)