Why are there teeth at the bottom of my tank?

rainia00

I have my fish in a QT tank right now that's bare bottomed and I'm feeding him red sinking pellet food. I did his daily water change and found what I can only assume were teeth? Why is he losing his teeth? Is this common?

This is very common. Goldfish lose their teeth and grow new ones all the time. If you search the forum, you'll see various members collecting goldfish teeth for nefarious purposes :rofl

• Supporter

I saw bilbo spit out a tooth just the other day, and I thought what the heck? My water changer doesn't pick them up very well.

unless you have some sort of nuclear powered water changer, they won't be collected at all. how to collect them? the best way i have found, since my fish net is retired from the day i purchased it :rofl :rofl i use that to swoosh the water just above the tooth, it will lift from the base and then i just collect it as it's falling back down in the net.

Goldfish regularly lose their teeth and grow new ones in their place, rather like a shark does. Today I just found two more teeth in my tank to add to my growing collection!

Here's some more information about their teeth for you:

Goldfish Teeth:

http://solid-gold-fi...fish-teeth.html

Goldfish Digestive System:

http://solid-gold-fi...ive-system.html

Edited by Sakura

I found one the other day when I fed my moor pellet food for the first time... It scared me! They're really neat looking though... I had heard that goldies had teeth, but I had never seen one before that :blink: