Sign in to follow this  
rainia00

Schedule of Tank Maintenance?

I have a 60 gal tank which currently just has a pleco in it because my goldfish is in a 10gal QT while he regrows his fins. I suspect the pleco is the culprit. Ever since being in QT, getting 100% water changes every day and 10% salt, Darth Fisherus is thriving and I believe his fins are growing back!

Anyways, in the past I did not do very frequent water changes in my main tank, except for replacing the carbon filters and adding water as it evaporated. I know that was BAD. So, now I'm wondering what sort of schedule should I get on? The tank has been set up for about 3 years, and I tested it and amonia, nitrates and nitrites are 0 and pH is 7.6.

If the parameters are good, do you still need to change the water? How much water should I change if I do need to and how frequently should this be done? I'm sorry if this question gets asked a lot, but I really appreciate your feed back!

Cheers :)

most people here do weekly fifty to eighty percent water changes to keep the parameters at the same 0 pecent and to clean the nasties out of the water like poo or uneaten food. What kind of pleco do you have. Because regular common plecos can be unsuitable tank mates unlike the other pleco varieties

Edited by Gcourtney

(love the fish's name :P )

What do you mean by 10% salt? 10% salt measures at 100tsp of dissolved salt per 1 gallon of water. Also, what type of pleco is this?

You need to change the water regardless of whether or not your parameters are perfect. Water changes not only remove toxic chemicals, but also remove waste, as well as bad bacteria that bloom within tanks.

Generally, water changes should be done on a weekly basis, if not two times a week. With one goldfish in a 60 gallon, you can easily do 60-80% water changes once a week, however you still want to be testing your water as nitrates should not go up past 40ppm (preferably 20ppm if you are able to), and the tank should be cleaned via the substrate if you have any. :)

You don't need chemical filtration, so you can actually just remove the carbon all together. Chemical filtration is really only needed if you are removing medications, however doing a water change is just as effective, if not more effective. Just be sure to rinse your tank filters in tank water monthly, or even every two months depending on how dirty they get. Filters also need to be cleaned so they can function properly. Media only needs to be slightly washed and shouldn't be replaced unless it absolutely needs to. Generally only around 10% media should be replaced at a time to reduce the chances of a cycle bump.

Edited by Narny105

What's the best way to clean the filter? Especially the tubes, where they bend? I am putting 9 Tbsp of aquarium salt in every time I do a 100% water change, as per dnalex's instructions :)

So, could I just use the white mesh filter bag thingy and that's it? Or do I need to buy one of those white and blue sponges?

I have a bunch of blue gravel at the bottom of my tank, and I think I want to get rid of it, but I'm worried about disturbing all the stuff and causing a bacteria bloom :-/ Maybe I should just vaccum it?

Also, Hans Pleco is a bristle nosed pleco :)

And thanks for the quick responses! I will have my husband help me out with a water change tomorrow, since he's strong enough to lift the trash can full of water to dump it, haha!

By the way, while I'm asking a ton of questions, how do you all change your water? Do you dump it gallon by gallon or do you use the vacuum to suck water into a bucket and dump that?

Cheers!

What's the best way to clean the filter? Especially the tubes, where they bend? I am putting 9 Tbsp of aquarium salt in every time I do a 100% water change, as per dnalex's instructions :)

So, could I just use the white mesh filter bag thingy and that's it? Or do I need to buy one of those white and blue sponges?

I have a bunch of blue gravel at the bottom of my tank, and I think I want to get rid of it, but I'm worried about disturbing all the stuff and causing a bacteria bloom :-/ Maybe I should just vaccum it?

Also, Hans Pleco is a bristle nosed pleco :)

And thanks for the quick responses! I will have my husband help me out with a water change tomorrow, since he's strong enough to lift the trash can full of water to dump it, haha!

By the way, while I'm asking a ton of questions, how do you all change your water? Do you dump it gallon by gallon or do you use the vacuum to suck water into a bucket and dump that?

Cheers!

Eek! In a 10 gallon you are looking for 9 teaspoons! D: Or 3 tablespoons to bring it to .3% (or is it .03%) 9 tablespoons is a bit much for goldfish I think \: For removing gravel, you can do small amounts with each water change. With water changes some people use buckets and siphon water into them or siphon it into the sink with either an automatic or manual siphon. We usually do percentages, I know in my 55 I will stop when there is about 4 inches of water left (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

You sure do have a lucky fish having such a huge aquarium for a home.

My daughter or myself were doing a 50% water change when we first started out with being a fish owner prior to this Summer. We've since up graded our aquarium and have learned more WC more often and bigger WC are great for the fish enviroment/health. We now do a 80% WC every week. Lately, I've even done a WC after 5 days. I swear the fish love it. ha ha I have the Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer to help with taking the water out of the tank. I bought it at Petsmart and is the best thing ever for fishkeeping. You basically hook up one end to a faucet (mine the kitchen) and it's attached to a 25 foot hose that then goes into the aquarium. You basically siphon out the aquarium water and it drains out in your sink. You can youtube it "Aqueon Water Changer for aquariums". That will explain better. Hope what I do helps some.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Am I missing something? Why are the nitrates at 0 if the tank has been set up for 3 years? :idont

(Or had you just done a very very large water change and then tested?)

Eek! In a 10 gallon you are looking for 9 teaspoons! D: Or 3 tablespoons to bring it to .3% (or is it .03%) 9 tablespoons is a bit much for goldfish I think \:

This is incorrect. 3 tablespoons, or 9 teaspoons, brings the salt concentration to 0.1%.

9 TABLESPOONS in a 10 gallon, in fact brings the concentration to 0.3%, which is not at all too much for goldfish. We use this amount to treat new fish in QT for at least two weeks, and they can go much much longer than that.

There are two links in my signature on salt, should anyone would like to read up on it. Thanks.

Most of us use something like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3728+23593&pcatid=23593

to help with our water changing maintenance ;)

I my self do 2 X 50-75% w/c's every week,removing old water is the best medicine for healthy fish :) it also removes ammonia,nitrites,rotting food ,poops and hormones,

How many goldfish do you have, your profile says 4??

I hope your baby feels better asap :)

I only have 1 goldie right now and the pleco. I'm not sure why my profile says 4 :-/ I used to have 3 at one point, but they died unfortunately :(

It seems like right now you are having a few things going on in your tank.

While in a D&D thread you will be getting advice for QT (preventative) or for healing of a sick fish. It is important to follow the instructions there until you have healthy fish.

The water change requirements for a healthy fish are as such.

Change the water to keep your parameters under these levels:

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 40

Again if you have unhealthy fish then you may need a stricter schedule or a lower concentration of nitrates in your tank. If you follow the stocking advice on this site then this means one large water change (50% or more) a week to achieve these results. :)

There is a recent poll you can take a look at that shows everyone's water change schedule so you can get an idea of what is typical/expected. http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/97006-how-often-do-you-change-your-water/

50-80% weekly is the minimum, even if your params are within the range others have described above you need to do this minimum water change because there is other stuff that builds up in the water that we don't/can't test for, including organics/bacteria which can make your fish sick if left to accumulate. Clean water = happy fish. This is fish keeping whittled down to the most basic form :P

Filter maintenance is another important thing to think about. The general rule of thumb is to rinse your filter media in tank or dechlorinated water about monthly. Here's another poll on filter maintenance to give you an idea about what people here do :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96009-how-we-maintain-our-filters/