Any ideas on food safe containers for gold fish in QT?

Batto

Hi guys :D

I'm currently using a 55l plastic container (that I bought from a $2 shop) as a QT for my new fish she's been in there for 48 hours, problem is I don't know whether it's food safe? and is it gonna release nasty toxins into the water? I have a heater in there at 23 degrees.

A few members on Kokos have suggested "sterilite" containers (made in US) but I can't seem to find a local supplier/store it in Melbourne that stocks them. I could order in online but I may as well buy a glass tank at the price they charge

Any ideas?

I'm in Melbourne

Cheers

Hi Salvo :)

Who manufactured it?

Starmaid containers are all food safe, you should be able to find them in Target, Big W, K-Mart etc. You can get them in sizes up to 115L (perhaps larger, I'm not entirely familiar with their entire line). I hope this helps. :)

Thanks guys

Don't know who manufactured the container doesn't say.

I'll go for a search this arvo.

I think the chance of ANY plastic releasing harmful amounts of a toxin into room temperature water is virtually nil, unless you never do a water change. I don't know what the requirements are for a "food grade" container, but it would have to be able to keep food safe through long storage at extremes (and variations) of temperature and pH. Food grade is probably a guarantee of safety for fish, but it certainly isn't a requirement. I suspect that none of the pond liners the stock tanks used for ponds are food safe.

I'm not suggesting you do anything you think is unsafe, but not all of us think it is necessary to use only food grade plastic.