List your top three goldfish mistakes as a beginner with your 1st tank.

larryngu

The song "You Learn" by says it all.

Share your top three mistakes that you made with your first tank.

Me personally.

1) I was overstocked. I had three fishies in a twenty gallon.

2) I bought my fishies before my tank was cycle.

3) I didn't want to spend $ to get the right equipment. Edited by larryngu

for me it was as follows:

1) taking what pet store employees said as gospel.

2) tank not cycled

3) overstocking

and so glad that for years now of learning and knowing what to do the hobby as become a success and a joy !!!............. :clapping:

Edited by Sharkbait3

for me it was as follows:

1) taking what pet store employees said as gospel.

2) tank not cycled

3) overstocking

and so glad that for years now of learning and knowing what to do the hobby as become a success and a joy !!!............. :clapping:

same mine was believing all the crap the pet store owners said not even knowing about the nitrogen cycle and way way way way over stocking i had 5 fish in a ten gallon :oops::no::krazy::yikes:wa:SmackBottom::doh11: they all died :rip::thumbdown:crying::why:

1) I had a 2.5 gallon tank

2) I had 2 goldfish

3) My tank was not cycled

These sad experiences have helped to make the lives of my current goldfish much better though. People learn from bad experiences, and though I wish that I had not been so foolish as I was, I am glad that I ahve learned from my mistakes.

RIP Harvey, Moby and Bu who had to deal with my lack of knowledge.

RIP Frenzy, the fish who inspired me to research because he was sick and I was worried.

RIP Emily, you will be missed.

1 over stocked 5 small fish in a 60 litre

2 when there's a problem sort it out ASAP

Lost 3 fish (Mitsi, bushi and evo1) due to internal infections and not treating them :(

3 swim bladder is stressful to fish and needs sorting ASAP with a proper treatment shedual ( lost blue boy and sharky)

3.5 do your own research

1. Not properly researching - should have done my own factual research.

2. Having too small a tank - 2 comets in a 10 Gal! They lived to be 3 and 4 years old... though perhaps this led me to thinking I was doing everything correctly.

3. Not knowing about water chemistry/cycling etc.

They are pretty much all linked to the first one, if I had done the research then those other points would have been sorted before they occured.

Ah I am sure I have made plenty of mistakes over the years! :(

1. Biggest one would be trusting and taking the advice from my local LFS .. of course we thought we were being good, responsible goldfish owners by following their advice to the letter. My next biggest mistakes were 'advice' from them!

2. Having around 10 commons in an uncycled (didn't even have a proper filter.. just an undergravel one) 90 litre tank (I think that's less than 30 gallons..)

3. Doing partial water changes every couple of weeks .. because obviously taking more than 30% of the water out fortnightly will shock and kill the fish ... !!!

1. Not cycling

2. Buying the wrong stuff -- junk filter, way too many ornaments, hollow ornaments, lots of gravel. I could have gotten a water changer with all that wasted money!

3. Getting the wrong fish -- we got two tiny fish from a local superstore with terrible tanks, and neither made it. We didn't pick out the healthiest Petsmart fish either. :( Also, I didn't realize that there were other varieties of fish that might show up later at local fish stores.

I actually had read about stocking before we got fish, but I didn't read about cycling. I also had read that gravel was best (argh!) and other not helpful stuff.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

This was about 15 years ago.

3 small fish but in a 3.5g container, I can't believe the store let me do that as they sold me everything.

The fish got ich immediately and started pecking at each other. The store was no help in curing them. I couldn't stand to watch them pick at each other so I covered the tank with a towel.

They all died of course.

I vowed to never own fish again until the day my daughter came home with her carnival fish. Have learned much since then :) though found the learning process quite stressful as I didn't want to see what happened years ago, happen again.

Edited by cmclien

My mistakes are very recent:

1. After children won 2 fish at the fair, swung by a petshop, purchased a 2.5 gallon Goldfish Kit, plopped the fish right in that night.

2. Learned a little more and bought a 10 gallon--couldn't bring myself to spend so much on "free" fish.

3. Proceeded to just do weekly water changes, not knowing anything about cycling.

4. Did not purchase a water test kit until Nemo was barely moving at the bottom of the tank.

Then, I found this forum, and the fish are growing and happy in a 40 gallon (they must be extremely hardy fish). They'll get a pond in the spring. And my children call me a crazy fish lady now : )

My 3 big fishie mistakes were:

1- 3 fancies, 5 minnows, 5 danios in a 60 litre tank (approx 16gal)

2- Not cycled

3- WC about every 6 weeks at most :(

Other mistakes: Cheap food, rubbish filtration, rubbish water conditioners, and rubbush testing strips. Oh.. and cold water for a while. They also moved house about 4 times in the first year, including two 3hr journeys.

I gave the other 2 fancies away. Still have Googles but he's illness prone and can't swim :(

1. Didn't know about cycling

2. Didn't do proper water changes

3. Overstocked

Probably my biggest overall mistake was trusting pet store employees to help me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh lawd, where to start...

1) I kept goldfish in a tank with 2 red eared slider turtles

2) I thought the red streaks were part of their coloring

3) I thought QT meant "Quickly, into the Tank!" (Just kidding but I never QT'd)

I could keep going but those were the biggies. Live and learn :)

1) Got a koi for an uncycled 10 gallon tank with 90gph filtration.

2) Added a shubunkin to the same tank. Found out about the koi and took her back...

3) added Clementine with the shuby, only to have to get rid of said shuby after she attacked Clementine.

That was about the time I decided to start thoroughly researching goldfish. I didn't know you could learn so much so quickly!

It would be interesting to know how many of us still have any of the fish we started with - as we all seem to have gone through a very similar start to goldfish keeping!

My very first two fish lasted about 2-3 years, and it wasn't until I'd had them a couple of years that I started getting more. The three fish I have now were part of the ridiculous amount of fish I had back then.

My 30 litre tank wasn't cycled and had two fish in it. Did a water change every two weeks (without cleaning the gravel) and only fed floating pellets. Luckily a year on they are still alive and are in much improved conditions after finding kokos and watching tithra's videos!

Edited by CoralPeachy

It would be interesting to know how many of us still have any of the fish we started with - as we all seem to have gone through a very similar start to goldfish keeping!

I still have the original three. I got them in June '11. I lost three that would not have made it out of QT, if I had known to do that.

• Admin

Love that Song!!! Great Choice :thumb:

Well for me....

1. thinking Wen growth was a disease and killing Sherman :(

2. Having hollow ornaments in the tank and also Big Giant logs in the tank Killed about 3 fish that way. :(

3. Thinking that I could have 4 goldfish in a 30 gallon tank :yikes