Goldfish eating tiny carbon fragments that escape from filter cartridge.

I have two hang on side filter with cartridges.

Sometimes tiny carbon fragments (from the filter cartridge ) get pushed out while the filter is running and get into the bare bottom tank. The fragments are the size of maybe two to three grains of sand clump together.

My fish eats these tiny fragments.

The fragments are not big enough for Goldy to choke on.

Should I be concerned?

My fish is a small month old fry.

Edited by larryngu

I would at least remove the cartridges and remove the carbon from them. Use the cartridge to seed some other media. Cartridges get expensive and carbon is not really necessary in a tank. Not to mention that replacing your cartridges also removes Beneficial Bacteria from your tank. Tithra has a pair of videos that show you how to use your filters without cartridges. It saves money and BBs! Eating carbon is not necessarily good for Goldy, either.

Part 1

Part 2

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

May I ask where you get the month old fry? If you are getting them from a store, I think they will be a bit older than that.

Anyway, I think for now it's probably OK, but I would avoid such happenings in the future. Those carbon granules are sharp edged, and can cause perforations of the digestive tract.

Very cute fish! But I'd guess this fish is much older, the fish in this photo are three months old, and eating a pea. Just for size reference :D

three-months-pea.jpg?w=450&h=300

Judging by this, your little beauty is probably about 6 months old :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Aw. Cute.

Not that it matters, really, but non-calico goldfish do not begin to lose their fry green color until at least 2-3 months after hatching, so Goldie has to be at least that old :)