Sign in to follow this  
Avepico

Gel Food- Repahy vs home made

I am looking into switching my crew to gel food. I have read a ton of recipes to make my own and have seen the wonderful reviews of Repashy. From what I am seeing, the Repashy is an excellent gel food that is convenient and easy to make while the home made recipes are more work to make, but allow more variety and cost less to make.

Has anyone tried both and formed a distinct opinion that one is better than the other?

I have done both, and honestly prefer repashy at this point simply due to the ease of making it and the good ingredients in it. It also takes the guess work out of figuring out if you have enough essential stuff in the food. That said, there is also something to be said for being able to tailor what you put in your own food.

I have done both, and honestly prefer repashy at this point simply due to the ease of making it and the good ingredients in it. It also takes the guess work out of figuring out if you have enough essential stuff in the food. That said, there is also something to be said for being able to tailor what you put in your own food.

Same here. I spent a good two years working and re-working my homemade recipe, and I was really happy with them. However, the Repashy formulas make it so convenient for me, AND the soilent green formula comes close to what might be the ideal mix of food for goldfish. :)

For basic everyday feeding, I am definitely more comfortable with repashy. I've never personally made homemade gel food though, but that's mainly because I don't feel confident enough in being able to provide a balanced enough diet for staple feeding. I'm also nervous about the effort it would take to try to make it, without knowing how it will turn out. With repashy it's healthy, it's quick/easy to make, it turns out perfectly every time, and the fish adore it. I just don't see a need for homemade gel food unless for a special or medicated diet when repashy is available. But thats just my opinion. :)

I just don't see a need for homemade gel food unless for a special or medicated diet when repashy is available. But thats just my opinion. :)

Agreed! It's soooo easy and the fish loooove it! :)

Looks like it's time to place an order then. Thanx everyone. Approx how many finished cups do you get with the 4 oz size?

Edited by Avepico

Looks like it's time to place an order then. Thanx everyone. Approx how many finished cups do you get with the 4 oz size?

You should order from our new site sponsor tasty worms! :D I believe it is 1 cup per ounce

You should order from our new site sponsor tasty worms! :D I believe it is 1 cup per ounce

Ordered the 4 oz to test it on the fishies. Tasty Worms even had it cheaper then Repashy's site and Amazon. I usually try for Amazon, I have Amazon Prime and get free 2nd day air if the item is Prime eligible and this wasn't. So I saved money and supported a site sponsor :rockon

Winner Winner :thumb:

Got the Repashy in today and the fish went wild for it. Did not have the issue of them not knowing what it was like some people have posted about it. That is probably because they have changed food so many times as I learn more. I just hope they will still eat the pro-gold since i still have a bag full of it.

Mine still eat ProGold. I added it to the Repashy once. I don't know if this is recommended but they ate it right up.

Of course, we are talking about animals that try and eat their own poo. :rofl

Got the Repashy in today and the fish went wild for it. Did not have the issue of them not knowing what it was like some people have posted about it. That is probably because they have changed food so many times as I learn more. I just hope they will still eat the pro-gold since i still have a bag full of it.

I feed both to my fish daily. I don't want to stop Pro-Gold, because it gives excellent growth! :)

Mine still eat ProGold. I added it to the Repashy once. I don't know if this is recommended but they ate it right up.

Of course, we are talking about animals that try and eat their own poo. :rofl

If I add anything it will be probiotics and maybe bloodworms.

Oooh, bloodworms is a great idea! I'll do that next time. My fish thank you. :)

I feed both to my fish daily. I don't want to stop Pro-Gold, because it gives excellent growth! :)

Thanx Alex (need to get that phrase bound to a macro), do you alternate what they get per feeding or give them a bit of each at each feeding. I am aiming for the smaller, more frequent feedings myself.

Oooh, bloodworms is a great idea! I'll do that next time. My fish thank you. :)

It's an idea I read here, I wish I could take credit for it. With my newest still small I want to make sure he gets all he needs to grow healthy.

I alternate. I am about to do a shuffling of the fish so that my 55 has the smaller fish. In that tank, I will do 2 feedings of Pro-Gold and 1 of Repashy gel (most of the time soilent green). In the 100g, where the fish are already bigger and I don't necessarily want them to grow fast, I do 1 feeding of Pro-Gold and 1 of Repashy, or 1 of Pro-Gold and 2 of Repashy.

I certainly prefer Repashy over home made, because it is so much easier to do :)

Great Food, Easy to Make & the goldies DEVOUR IT!! Seems a E A S Y choice!! Rapashy all the way!!

(I still have ProGold & Mazuri....I've decided Rapashy is the main food & the other two I'll pop in as well.)

Shoot..I also have SakiHakari.....they'll get a BUFFET!!!!

Edited by Jeana727

The food distribution is kind of taking care of itself at this point. The larger fish get the loin's share of the repashy and the little guy get as much Pro-Gold as he can fit in his little guts. I am alternating foods. Two meals a day, first with repashy and second with Pro-Gold.They all get some of each, and the little one gets more of the stuff that is better for his growth. Now to work the peas and bloodworms into some sort of a schedule.