Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Follow up on Wakka

It's about two weeks now since Wakka started to pinecone again (he pineconed once early this year).

The other two fish that started to pinecone slightly went flat within 24 hours. Removing all the TMS and the rust in it really seems to have massively improved the situation. I even gave the filters a good cleaning in order to get any possible rust particles out of there too.

But Wakka is not 100% flat yet.

He has been in Epsom for the first week. Temperature is at 82F, 10g QT with 180gph HOB, daily 100% w/c, params 0/0/0. 400mg metronidazole per 10 gallons of tank water.

I clean his filters out weekly to remove as many nasties as possible.

He also tends to tip onto his side when swimming near the bottom. He has no problem swimming around in the tank / up to the surface / down to the bottom, but he tips over and sideways a lot - see video. Periodically bottom sitting under a plant.

He always had buoyancy issues ever since I got him, getting floaty, or flipping over without being floaty etc.

The wound on his side is healing nicely. All bloody spots have disappeared within a few days.

The mushy belly firmed up again.

He is quite active and has great appetite. No clamping, no gasping. Nice pink gills, no redness/red streaks or anything. Just the still slightly lifted scales and the swimming issues.

It's like watching Bambi on the frozen lake.

So.... continue MMs? For how long? Re-add epsom since we went a week without since the last use, or is this not recommended? For now I'll be keeping him in QT either way, because with his buoyancy issues I don't want to toss him into a tank with almost 700gph filtration and 75% output of a whisper 300 air pump. D:

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

I would continue the MMs for another week, along with the metro powder in the water.

He doesn't look too bad, although I see the swimming behavior. :(

Yeah, he acts pretty normal for his wacky self :lol

As said, he always had swimming issues, but they do seem to progressively get worse over time, which worries me a bit. He doesn't seem very bothered by them though (yet). I mean, did you see him shoot off like a rocket as the food enters the tank at the beginning? LOL

So no epsom, right? He doesn't seem bloated to me anyway but I wanted to make sure. He's just very short and round bodied.

Let's see what other people say about Epsom. I am not a big fan of using it, and use only when I must. :rofl

He is such a gorgeous-yet-at-the-same-time-seriously-CUTE fish. He looks like he feels good! You can't help but smile when you watch him.

I'd don't know about the epsom or not, but it is great to hear that he is doing better. I agree on the MMs if he is still pineconed a bit. I have a fish with a similar body shape and similar balance problems. He did better in the QT than in the bigger (deeper) tank and I had my trusty glass blender jar in there, which he liked to sit in and which seemed to protect him from buffeting from any water current, so he seemed a bit more "stable". Now he is back in the big tank and all unbalanced again (I'll put his jar in there this weekend, after it is sterilized--I had it in with the oranda that died). It seems that as these deep-bodied fish get bigger, they are less able to manage, but I found that the blender jar helped--they can balance in the opening and stay upright, or sit inside and have a water-calm environment. Just need to move it around/rinse it with water changes to avoid any still water pockets from developing. I just bought repashy, too, to see if that makes any difference. Hope he continues to get better--he is a special fish.

Edited by spillie

Thanks Spillie! I agree, in my fish I can totally see that the rounder ones are the ones with more problems - which is why Bullet worries me a bit with being so very deep bodied already.

I love wakka so much :heart such a cute little guy! I don't see any need for epsom, but you of course are the best judge of this since you know what looks like bloating for him.

Poor guy. I hope he's better soon. :(

no swell, no Epsom. you don't need to go the full 8 days with it, but i recommend a minimum of 5 days.

with dropsy, he may have been more advanced than the others. was he the fish that first alerted the pineconing? if so, he would have probably reacted to it first. depending on what the reason and we're assuming it was the rust from the TMS, some fish handle poisoning differently than others. they may hold onto symptoms longer than other affected fish or, he may have consumed a particle that took some time for it to be resolved..

i am supporting Alex's recommendation to keep the medicine going for a further week, but end the Epsom.

So good to see he's doing better ;) I think he's one of my Favs on here ;)

no swell, no Epsom. you don't need to go the full 8 days with it, but i recommend a minimum of 5 days.

with dropsy, he may have been more advanced than the others. was he the fish that first alerted the pineconing? if so, he would have probably reacted to it first. depending on what the reason and we're assuming it was the rust from the TMS, some fish handle poisoning differently than others. they may hold onto symptoms longer than other affected fish or, he may have consumed a particle that took some time for it to be resolved..

i am supporting Alex's recommendation to keep the medicine going for a further week, but end the Epsom.

Yep, he's the first one I noticed, and he was in worse condition than the two teles that only had light scale lifting for less than 48 hours each.

But he's the one that was my first dropsy fish ever, which I believe is connected to his buoyancy issues he came with. This is also what I blame for him to be much more sensitive to all sort of things. He is the first fish that will act off when the nitrates pass 10ppm.

He sometimes tends to rest in a slight head standing position or wedging himself in a corner or behind/underneath things.

Thanks for the advice, I will keep him on MMs for a little longer. :)