Sign in to follow this  
4prettyfish

Is this media put in correct?

Beneficial bacteria are really not that delicate, and while I am not suggesting that one goes and shakes the bag of biomedia as vigorously as possible, it's fine to do regular light rinses in tank or dechlorinated water. I do this every 10 days (every other WC) to all three HOB bio-media bags, along with vigorous rinsing and squeezing of the other media, and I have never gotten a cycle bump.

Even though the other media should keep most of the debris away from the bio-media, there is still some, and light rinsing clears that off. :)

Beneficial bacteria are really not that delicate, and while I am not suggesting that one goes and shakes the bag of biomedia as vigorously as possible, it's fine to do regular light rinses in tank or dechlorinated water. I do this every 10 days (every other WC) to all three HOB bio-media bags, along with vigorous rinsing and squeezing of the other media, and I have never gotten a cycle bump.

Even though the other media should keep most of the debris away from the bio-media, there is still some, and light rinsing clears that off. :)

While I know this, I just wasn't sure if 4prettyfish did, she seems relatively new to the hobby and I wanted to make it clear that the idea of actually rinsing bio media is not necessary, ever, unless it is literally clogged with detritus or other matter. I guess we just have different methods of doing things. The only "rinsing" I did was back when I used Tetra Whisper power filters, the original ones about 10 years ago. The bio media was a black sponge and that would defintiely get clogged over time. So I could dip it in a container of tank water and knock it around a little. But with my 2 Aquaclear 110s that I run now, and one I've been running for 6 years, I have never needed to rinse or slosh the ceramic rings around at all, I just place them gently in a container of tank water. While vigorous rinsing and squeezing of mechanical sponges in tank water is fine, I guess I just have a different view and I get nervous when I hear anyone mentioned they are going to "rinse" their bio media. I shouldn't jump to such conclusions... :wall

While I know this, I just wasn't sure if 4prettyfish did, she seems relatively new to the hobby and I wanted to make it clear that the idea of actually rinsing bio media is not necessary, ever, unless it is literally clogged with detritus or other matter. I guess we just have different methods of doing things. The only "rinsing" I did was back when I used Tetra Whisper power filters, the original ones about 10 years ago. The bio media was a black sponge and that would defintiely get clogged over time. So I could dip it in a container of tank water and knock it around a little. But with my 2 Aquaclear 110s that I run now, and one I've been running for 6 years, I have never needed to rinse or slosh the ceramic rings around at all, I just place them gently in a container of tank water. While vigorous rinsing and squeezing of mechanical sponges in tank water is fine, I guess I just have a different view and I get nervous when I hear anyone mentioned they are going to "rinse" their bio media. I shouldn't jump to such conclusions... :wall

There are many good ways to keeping an aquarium, and some may even seem somewhat at odds with each other. In so many ways, I really think it's about being consistent, and doing what works best for you to keep your parameters in ideal/optimal conditions. If not rinsing your bio-media has worked well for you over the years, then that's not something to be discounted. :)

I apologize if I caused confusion, my original quote was :

"I definitely don't rinse them as often as the filter pads which I do at least once a week, lightly, to get the food and gunk off of the pads. But I find I have to dip them here and there in some tank water for a few seconds as some debris gets on them over time and then when I re-start the filter it gets flushed out into my tank. I wouldn't rinse them for the first month though and then do them on different days. I have three hob's and I do two on one day and the other a couple days later, even the pads I alternate so as not to disrupt my cycle."

I did say I dip them here and there in tank water, but I also used the word rinse, which I meant swish, dip etc, in other words get the gunk off! lol

I probably use the term rinse too lightly, I forget because I have well water and I can actually "rinse" them in the faucet lightly but most other people cannot. I am definitely more gentle with my rings and just lightly swish them for about 3 seconds whenever I pull the filters out to clean them which is at least weekly. Could be the way the aqueon hob setup is but there is always a little debris that is on them.

I'm not sure how I'm missing seeing these last 4/5 remarks. (I guess I'm not cking) Anyway, Thanks for your advice on all this. I just reviewed a lot of the comments on here again. I have been very happy so far with my new media set up. I have noticed hearing some "knocking" noise at times. I don't know if I have too many ceramic beads in. That might be the extra noise I hear at times. Not all the time but I do hear it every now and then. I think when I do a WC on Friday I'll take a good look at it and "rinse" some of the media out gently with some old tank water. Thank you again to everyone that has helped me out with this. I very much appreciated it.