Sign in to follow this  
4prettyfish

Is this media put in correct?

Hi Everyone, If you want a good laugh :) then....keep the volumn on while viewing my video. You can even count all my mistakes while I'm talking. I don't edit (obviously) and when I get nervous I tend to talk fast and not make any sense. So here's to a good laugh. Or you can just mute my video and read below. (Hopefully I used correct words for what I was describing below)

Last night my aquarium looked like it had some icky stuff floating around in the water. Just on Sat. though I did a big 90% water change. The water has always been crystal clear. I thought the icky stuff might have been due to my cartridges. I have a Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel 200 that has two slots for cartridges and an Aqueon 75 that also has two slots for cartridges. Last night I decided to take out two of my old cartridges (one in each filter) and cut out the carbon and then put it back in my fliter with some new Bonded Filter Pad that I cut out from a sheet of the product. I put my old media in front of the new stuff that I cut out. I wanted to know if I did this correct. I put the old in front of the new WHITE side of the bonded filter pad. So the blue part of the new stuff was in the back. (facing the back wall) I do tend to buy some ceramic rings/balls this weekend and I was going to put that in my filters also. When I do this do I still leave in my two filters if I have the room. I do keep the ceramic rings/balls in front, then the media in behind that, correct? Thanks for helping me with this.

http://s1173.photobucket.com/albums/r594/4prettyfish/?action=view&current=10-22-12Isthemediacorrect002_zps9e9dbca5.mp4

Looks good to me. I also use the same filter padding in my filters, and I have it the same way. The blue side should be the side meeting the water flow first to catch the bigger stuff, and the white, being more dense, can catch the smaller bits.

I would keep a watch on the your parameters for the next week, just in case. I doubt that you would have a cycle bump, but there may have been enough BBs on the carbon to have a slight effect. This is not really an issue if you monitor it, and add Prime when needed.

Welcome to the world where you are soon freed from the bondage of pre-made cartridges! :rofl

I'm not familiar with the filters you are using, but for proper filtration the water should be flowing through the sponge material first for mechanical filtration, then your ceramic rings for biological filtration, then (if preferred) carbon for chemical filtration.

1. Mechanical Filtration: The sponges/filter floss should be arranged so that the density goes from low to high, so the more porous material should be first followed by finer material. This is only if you have double sided material or two different types. The idea is you want the sponges to first catch the bigger particals, followed by the small particals, so the water that is leaving is as clean as possible.

2. Biological Filtration: The clean and partical free water will then run through your ceramic rings, where all the benefical bacteria will colonize and convert ammonia and nitrite. You want the water to be as partical free as possible so the rings do not get all clogged up and dirty since the more pores and holes there are, the more space the benefical bacteria have to live.

3. Chemical Filtration: This step isn't needed, but if you need to remove medicines or if you want to "polish" your water you can add some carbon/puregin as the last step. You want the cleanest water running through so it picks up as little amount of particals as possible to help it last longer and give the best results.

Once a month, rinse everything in tank water and sqeeze out the sponges until the water runs clear, and you're good to go! :)

Looks good to me. I also use the same filter padding in my filters, and I have it the same way. The blue side should be the side meeting the water flow first to catch the bigger stuff, and the white, being more dense, can catch the smaller bits.

I would keep a watch on the your parameters for the next week, just in case. I doubt that you would have a cycle bump, but there may have been enough BBs on the carbon to have a slight effect. This is not really an issue if you monitor it, and add Prime when needed.

Welcome to the world where you are soon freed from the bondage of pre-made cartridges! :rofl

Thank you. From what you said though I should have the blue side facing me then. I have it the other way around. I have it facing the back wall. So I need to change it then??? Thanks for reminding me about the Prime. I put a capful in last night and will do it right now. I'll ck parameters tomorrow. So thanks again for reminding me of this too. Much appreciated. What about the ceramic rings/balls? A good idea? Or do I not need it?

Definitely get ceramic balls. I throw them in both the Aqueon and the Marineland (back when I had one running). Just remember Jenny's sequence:

Where the water first flows into the filter chamber, it should come in contact with the more spongy/less dense filter padding first, then the more dense part. Then the biological media. This way, you can efficiently trap the waste going from big particles to smaller particles, and by the time the water reaches your bio-media, it should be free of debris.

I'm not familiar with the filters you are using, but for proper filtration the water should be flowing through the sponge material first for mechanical filtration, then your ceramic rings for biological filtration, then (if preferred) carbon for chemical filtration.

1. Mechanical Filtration: The sponges/filter floss should be arranged so that the density goes from low to high, so the more porous material should be first followed by finer material. This is only if you have double sided material or two different types. The idea is you want the sponges to first catch the bigger particals, followed by the small particals, so the water that is leaving is as clean as possible.

2. Biological Filtration: The clean and partical free water will then run through your ceramic rings, where all the benefical bacteria will colonize and convert ammonia and nitrite. You want the water to be as partical free as possible so the rings do not get all clogged up and dirty since the more pores and holes there are, the more space the benefical bacteria have to live.

3. Chemical Filtration: This step isn't needed, but if you need to remove medicines or if you want to "polish" your water you can add some carbon/puregin as the last step. You want the cleanest water running through so it picks up as little amount of particals as possible to help it last longer and give the best results.

Once a month, rinse everything in tank water and sqeeze out the sponges until the water runs clear, and you're good to go! :)

Okay, Thank you so much for explaining all this. LIke I had said to Alex after his response............I think I have the filter wrong. I need to switch/turn it around. It has two different sides. I need to put the blue side facing me....up front. And thanks for explaining the rings. I would have put them up in front. They go behind the filters. Thanks again. I will be reading this again over the wkend after I get the rings/balls. Thanks again for helping.

Definitely get ceramic balls. I throw them in both the Aqueon and the Marineland (back when I had one running). Just remember Jenny's sequence:

Where the water first flows into the filter chamber, it should come in contact with the most more spongy/less dense filter padding first, then the more dense part. Then the biological media. This way, you can efficiently trap the waste going from big particles to smaller particles, and by the time the water reaches your bio-media, it should be free of debris.

Got it! Thank you. I just read Jenny's twice. I'm excited about this. I do have about 4 cartridges still to use up and I still want to. Hope that is okay. Each filter holds two cartidriges.....I'll have one I make than one store cartridge in each of my two filters.

There is no point in wasting money :)

Where the water first flows into the filter chamber, it should come in contact with the most more spongy/less dense filter padding first, then the more dense part. Then the biological media. This way, you can efficiently trap the waste going from big particles to smaller particles, and by the time the water reaches your bio-media, it should be free of debris.

Got it! Thank you. I just read Jenny's twice. I'm excited about this. I do have about 4 cartridges still to use up and I still want to. Hope that is okay. Each filter holds two cartidriges.....I'll have one I make than one store cartridge in each of my two filters.

Do the premade ones have carbon in them? If so, you can save them for if/when you ever want to remove meds/smells from your water. I save the carbon that comes with new filters for this reason. :)

Do the premade ones have carbon in them? If so, you can save them for if/when you ever want to remove meds/smells from your water. I save the carbon that comes with new filters for this reason. :)

I will just save the 4 premade ones for that reason alone. Thanks for the tip.

I think you had it right the first time, I have the aqueon too. The blue is the first side to meet the water because it is more coarse then the white. After it catches the larger particles then it goes to the finer, white side, then to ceramic rings/balls before going back to the tank. You might need to remove your bio-cartridge holder to fit the rings/balls in, at least I had to. It doesn't do nearly as much imho as the rings/balls. :)

I can't say for your other filter, but here is how my auqeon looks I couldn't see your actual filter setup over your hood lamp so here is a pic of mine.

And I had to remove the blue plastic cartridge in order to fit the ceramic rings in. Just cut out your filter pad so its about 1/4" bigger all around then the carbon filter pads that come with the filter so that it catches everything. As they get older they tend to shrink a little as they lose their stiffness. I bought two small bags of the biomax ceramic rings and put one on top of the other. One larger size might work but I figured if I ever needed to move one to another tank then I would be leaving the other one in a filter etc.

Your tank looks very pretty by the way! Love the red coral, I always love red accents anywhere including fish tanks and my house lol.

DSC01502.jpg

Edited by cmclien

I can't say for your other filter, but here is how my auqeon looks I couldn't see your actual filter setup over your hood lamp so here is a pic of mine.

And I had to remove the blue plastic cartridge in order to fit the ceramic rings in. Just cut out your filter pad so its about 1/4" bigger all around then the carbon filter pads that come with the filter so that it catches everything. As they get older they tend to shrink a little as they lose their stiffness. I bought two small bags of the biomax ceramic rings and put one on top of the other. One larger size might work but I figured if I ever needed to move one to another tank then I would be leaving the other one in a filter etc.

Your tank looks very pretty by the way! Love the red coral, I always love red accents anywhere including fish tanks and my house lol.

DSC01502.jpg

Thank you for posting your setup. I usually am, pretty much a confident person but for some reason when it comes to my/daughter's tank I start second guessing myself on some stuff. And I was last night. Now that I see your pic. I totally understand how the water flows. DUHHH. ha ha ha I wasn't getting it. Thank you so much. And I take it your ceramic rings are in that mesh bag in front of the white pad. Now I need to go change the filters around, again. I had flipped them the other way this morning. I also did a 80% WC this morning. All those tiny white bubbles are almost gone and the surface of the water is much much better. Looking more normal to me know. So I am happy with the way the water is looking.

Thank you for complimenting my tank. I do like the color red also. I have red square ceramic dinnerware and just love the contrast against my marble table.

Thank you again for helping me.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words!

The biomax come in the little mesh bags, you can buy them at petsmart etc., I think aquaclear or fluval make them, now I can't remember. You just rinse them first as they have a little dust. They will turn tanish in color as the bacteria begin to grow on them.

It just occurred to me that your blue bio-cartridges probably are holding some of your bb as you didn't cycle with the rings correct? So I would try and keep them for awhile so you don't inadvertently toss good bacteria away and interrupt your cycle. Your new rings won't have any bb on them for awhile.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words!

The biomax come in the little mesh bags, you can buy them at petsmart etc., I think aquaclear or fluval make them, now I can't remember. You just rinse them first as they have a little dust. They will turn tanish in color as the bacteria begin to grow on them.

That's for sure re: your first sentence. That helped me out tremendously. :)

I was going to go to Petsmart this wkend and get the biomax. I was cking out their website the other day and I think it was aquaclear. I think it might even come in a couple of different brand names. I've read that you only need to take it out of the filter once a month and rinse it under tank water.

I definitely don't rinse them as often as the filter pads which I do at least once a week, lightly, to get the food and gunk off of the pads. But I find I have to dip them here and there in some tank water for a few seconds as some debris gets on them over time and then when I re-start the filter it gets flushed out into my tank. I wouldn't rinse them for the first month though and then do them on different days. I have three hob's and I do two on one day and the other a couple days later, even the pads I alternate so as not to disrupt my cycle.

Hun on that Penguin filter, It looks to me you can add more filter floss to it.. I know they are very deep :)

Hun on that Penguin filter, It looks to me you can add more filter floss to it.. I know they are very deep :)

Thanks Koko. It is a big filter that came with 2 cartridges. They are side by side one another. My daughter was only holding up the one that I cut up padding and put back into that plastic thingy??? The other cartridge (that came w/filter) I left alone and didn't show you guys. Over the wkend I am going to be buying the ceramic rings and add that to my filters. I'll have room for all that. I'm excited about all this. (saving money in long run and great for the fish) Edited by 4prettyfish

I think you did your video just fine :)

I was also under the impression that the blue side was for the bigger stuff like poo and food and the white side was for the smaller stuff that we don't usually see ;) and for polishing/finishing...

I also think if you follow Jenny's description your good to go ;)

Thanks. Like I had said I was just getting confused and second guessing myself I think. Thanks to Jenny for explaining clearly and cmclien photo...........I get it. And I did have it right. Earlier today I yet again had to change the filter around like how I had it in my video. I flipped it once before sleeping last night also. ha ha ha Because I was still thinking I had it wrong. I think I should just not think. I'm confident now. :carrot::clapping: I have it correct.

I definitely don't rinse them as often as the filter pads which I do at least once a week, lightly, to get the food and gunk off of the pads. But I find I have to dip them here and there in some tank water for a few seconds as some debris gets on them over time and then when I re-start the filter it gets flushed out into my tank. I wouldn't rinse them for the first month though and then do them on different days. I have three hob's and I do two on one day and the other a couple days later, even the pads I alternate so as not to disrupt my cycle.

I don't know how I over looked this but I did. Sorry about that. Thanks for the info. I will wait longer then a month to rinse the ceramic balls. I would have done it sooner. I don't clean all my filters at the same time either. Thank you again for all your help. It really is appreciated.

I don't know how I over looked this but I did. Sorry about that. Thanks for the info. I will wait longer then a month to rinse the ceramic balls. I would have done it sooner. I don't clean all my filters at the same time either. Thank you again for all your help. It really is appreciated.

I would actually recommend to never "rinse" your ceramic balls, but maybe I have the wrong idea of what you actually mean. But what I think cmlien was saying is that it's okay to "dip" your bio media in a bucket or container of tank water from time to time, like during filter mainenance to soak it while you clean the filter, and not physically rinse them, ever. I suggest being extra delicate when handling your bio-media bag - they're essentially the liver of the tank!