• * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 305 fluval canister filter
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime
  • * Water temperature? 19 degrees
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? daily 80-100% new fish QT

• * How many days ago was the last water yesterday change and how much did you change? 80%
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 5 gallons qt
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? daily 2 times, home made gel food and hakari gold pellets
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? new fish in qt
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) not known new fish
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? whitish suspicious looking streaks on tail, dark red small spotted blotchy tummy,
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? gulping at surface not eating today
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. none
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Hi I'm back,

After a 6 week struggle I finally lost my lovely oranda last week :cry

I decided to cheer myself up and go get another fishy especially because my ranchu looks rather lonely in that big tank by herself

I'm starting to regret that decision!! :o I spent a good hour at the aquarium choosing a nice healthy frisky looking fishy. It came down to a black ranchu and a gold oranda, I went for the oranda

She has been in 5 gallon QT (I know it's a little on the small side) since Sat and I pretty much left her alone with one or 2 feeds here and there and daily WC

I tried to feed her this morn and she's not interested she only stays in the corner at the top of the tank gulping. I have also noticed some dark red "spotted bruising/marks" on her tummy and perhaps some whitish marks on her fin. There is also some transparent fuzzy growth on her wen which I hope is just new growth.

It's hard to know what is normal in her appearance as she is a newby.

I have decided to treat for flukes, and salt 0.1 as I am doing 80- $100% WC daily I cannot gradually bring the salt up to 0.3 so I will be adding new salt and prazi to the tank daily

Do we think this is good Idea?

I will try to get a video of her shortly

Thanks in advance

Edited by salvo

I think it is a good idea. I also would try to provide at least 10g for QT. The small space of the current QT might make the fish uncomfortable too, even with the daily big water changes.

Is there an air stone in the QT for extra oxygenation?

Thanks for your quick reply Oerba

Would a 10 gallon bucket be better than the 5 gallon tank?

Yes there is an airstone, should I raise the temperature when salting?

I will start the prazi today

cheers

A 10 gallon bucket or storage container is cheaper, there is no difference between this and a tank for the fish.

19C is too cold as we raise temp to check for external parasites as it will speed up their cycle. You want to aim for 23-24C and raise it only one degree per hour.

I see you are working on a video. I'll let a mod know and they should be by shortly :)

Is your fluval 305 on your QT?

Oh the fluval 305 is in the main tank lol

I have a small fluval internal filter in the QT

I will buy a transparent storage container today as the bucket i have is purple so I will not be able to observe her through the walls

Will get a vid b4 I transfer her into the container

Thnx again

Yeah there are plenty of $2 shops where I can pick one up pretty cheap thanks Narny

That white fuzzy stuff on her wen is looking mighty suspicious now it's has grown within the last few hours, and there are a few fuzzy longish cotton woolly spots!! :o

I think I should be treating for fungus!?

Ok a few questions could you answer please??

Will salting the tank help with the fungus?

Will API melafix help (cajeput oil)?

Otherwise I am willing to borrow my housemates car and pop down to the aquarium and get something specific

sigh :no:

• Supporter

hun, stay away from the Melafix, it has oils in it that could clog the gills. i would continue to increase the salt and keep adding prazi. get the container, raise the heat and do daily waterchanges of 80%.

then, you need to give it some time with this routine. keep an eye on poop..

post pics of the concerned areas and take a vid of the behaviour. we need to see what the problems are. visuals are very important to assist accurate diagnosis.

Howdy stranger ;)

Yeah I'm staying away from Melafix after reading about it

Just got a 55l container - she's in and I've started to raise temperature

will add salt and prazi now

Cheers

I believe you want to make sure the bin/container is food safe so it doesn't leech toxins into the water.

Food safe container :o oh dear I don't know about that!

Too late she's in!

I'll try look for another container tomorrow

Edited by dnalex

Hey there Koko dudes she's looking HEAPS better :D

That fuzzy fungus looking stuff on her head cleared up within 1 hour after putting her in the larger container and adding some salt

She's pooing and eating well

Thanks for your advice xx

Bodoba - 0.1% salt

Still haven't got a "food safe" container can't get sterlilite in Melbourne :tantrum

Any other suggestions?

Will do a bit of research