Sign in to follow this  
Finnage

Orange goldfish turning black?

Can orange goldfish turn black, I've seen a lot of black ones turn orange as they mature, but can the reverse be true?

yes, indeed they can, i have one in my tank now who is growing some black on her fins. the black was not there when i got her, i've had her for about 4 weeks now and the black is natural colouring :)

Does it happen only to baby goldfish or could it happen anytime?

Does it happen only to baby goldfish or could it happen anytime?

Goldfish can change color any time in their lives.

How about a pic?

This is my first time uploading pic through tapatalk. Hopefully it shows.

a9unuruq.jpg

The blackness is faint, but is kind of spread throughout his body.

I've had him since Dec 2011, and he has always been 100% orange.

I have a Calico telescope that almost lost all of his black spots after 10 months (this last two weeks his colour changed- there was a suddent temperature decrease also). 8 months ago i had it breed with a female and had babies so i know he was already an adult.. They are full of surprizes!

Edited by Spyromon

Does your tank get a lot of sunlight by any chance??

Most cases are the other end, loss of black coloring, but I believe Sakura had a goldfish in a small pond who's black became more intense ;) as long as your not having any ammonia issues I say congrats!!! I'm looking forward to picture updates as this progresses ;)

No sunlight directly to the aquarium.

Ammonia was the first thought that came to mind, but I checked them and they are zero.

Would an undetected cycle bump caused ammonia burn? (fyi, I do twice weekly wc 40%)

Hopefully it's just a color change like what stakos said.

The coloring does not really look like ammonia burns to me. It looks rather like the fish simply changing color a bit. :)

Finnage,

Sorry to be off topic, but can you share with me the plants in that photo with your fish?

My black oranda when he has new wen growth sometimes it comes out orange, but then quickly turns black. So I would say sometimes it is normal.

Was this fish recently medicated or exposed to any chemicals, including salt? Black is melanophore migration, and can happen with any sort of chemical irritation or meds.

@phil sorry, I don't know the name of that plant. It's not a common plant so I had a hard time remembering it.

@alex yes, I treated the tank with 0.1% salt a few weeks ago actually, He had some whitish spot on his skin then. It didn't look like ich to me, but it went away a few days after the salt treatment. The salt wasn't in the water for long, only a week. I've treated the tank with salt a few times in the past, but his skin never turned black on me. If it is in fact salt burn, does the black means it's healing?

Hello,

At this point, these are just guesses :)

The only time black spots can be worrying is when the fish was in a pond, because then we would have to check to see that it's not metacerarial disease. Otherwise, in an indoor setting, black can only be either a color change, or healing from some sort of irritation. I was guessing that that it's a chemical burn, because it is diffuse and very lightly, almost like smudges. I tend to associate color changes with being more intensely colored.

Whatever the case, I don't think it's anything to worry about. It would be awesome if it is indeed the beginning of a color change.

The thing is I find more and more black 'smudges' as the days pass by.

He's acting normal though so far.

Thanks anyways everyone!