Sign in to follow this  
Cezza91

Problems with brown algae - or at least i think it is...

I've had my new 180 litre tank set up for about three weeks now, and I'm just fighting a losing battle against what I assume to be brown algae. My tank is cycling at the moment, but I've had other cycling tanks set up that haven't had this problem at all.

Water tests read as follows:

Ammonia 0.25

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 0

Why is this brown algae getting so pronounced in my tank? It's starting to cover everything, and I'm not sure why it's there or what I can do to get rid of it. Any help/suggestions?

Here are some pics;

DSC01200.jpg

DSC01201.jpg

Diatoms (brown algae) feed mainly off of nitrates, phosphates, and silicates. If the tank has new sand in it the silicates can leach from the sand causing a diatom bloom, also if your tank is still cycling nitrates will cause a jump in population of diatoms. It could be that while cycling the small amount of nitrates that were in the water caused a bloom and they're now feeding off the nirates which is why you're seeing a reading of 0. The best thing to do is find the source of the bloom, however some tap water just has a lot of silicic acid in it, which means that diatoms may always be a problem. I would start consider getting a nerite snail to combat the diatoms until things even out. Nerites eat brown algae like theres no tomorrow!

I have them too, mostly I see them start on my rocks, then I might see some on the plastic plants I have etc and the only thing that works for me is once a week to take everything out of my tank when I do a big water change and wash it off using a dish scrubber. Diatoms usually are very easy to wash off vs some other kinds of algae that might be brown in color. I think if I went more than a week I'd probably have a big bloom! They don't harm anything I'm pretty sure, they are just unattractive to look at :(

. I would start consider getting a nerite snail to combat the diatoms until things even out. Nerites eat brown algae like theres no tomorrow!

I like this idea, do you think they can live in a bare bottom tank?

Diatoms (aquarium brown algae) are very common in newly set-up aquariums and can persist for some time. I had a chronic problem with diatoms because my water has high levels of silicates. I was able to resolve the problem by using a poly-filter pad and pre-filtering the water before adding it to my aquarium.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10421&cmpid=11csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525409262&catargetid=1570176690&cagpspn=pla

I'm not sure if these are available where you live, but perhaps look for something similar if they aren't.

. I would start consider getting a nerite snail to combat the diatoms until things even out. Nerites eat brown algae like theres no tomorrow!

I like this idea, do you think they can live in a bare bottom tank?

They do fine in barebottom tanks!