Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

Onion?

I always have it on hand, so I wondered: Can goldies eat bulb onions? Of course because of the consistency I would have to soften them, but I have to wonder. The reason I ask is I wonder if it might have an effect on their slime coat.

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

i don't know of anyone who has or currently does feed this to their goldies. going by how they create gas in humans, i would think that bulb onions would have potential to create swim bladder problems with fish. but this is just an assumption..

...I have never heard of onions giving anyone gas.

...I have never heard of onions giving anyone gas.

i dare you to step into my home after i feed my husband onions anything :rofl it will only take 5 seconds of your time :tomuch::blowup:

Well onions have quecertin in it which is an antioxidant. As for how important antioxidants are to goldfish I am uncertain.

They destroy osteoclasts to prevent bone breakdown in humans. I do not know how that would affect fish bone and cartilage.

Shallots seem to develop the most phenols of all the onions. Phenols are also found in algae and many other plants so that is safe for fish.

From what I can tell phenols are another antioxidant that increase diffusions between cell membranes.

I would just be careful of floaty fish due to the gas. This is the same reason why some fish can't eat broccoli, cabbage, or cauliflower.

I love onions...and am lucky to live in Georgia where the best onions (Vidalia Onions) are grown!! Gas or not onions are one of my favs!! Having said that: I'd never feed them to my fish. Don't really have a GREAT reason why...just wouldn't.