Sign in to follow this  
Spookypug

Want to take rocks out of tank and replace with larger ones- choked on rock

Hello-

My 4.5 year old Oranda had a large glass rock the size of a nickel deep in his throat a few days ago. I was able to hold on to him and hold his head out of the water and remove the rock with a pair of tweezers. It was about an inch in his throat. I never want to have to do that again- very stressful for both him and me. I had thought the rocks were big enough that he couldn't do this. I now need to change out the rocks and am wondering what this entails. Do I get really large rocks? Super small ones? How will this affect the water quality and the bio filter? Do I do it all at once or do half at a time? Trying to upload a photo of him but can't seem to figure out how...

Thank you.

Only the top 1/4 inch layer of rock would have any BB on it. You can remove them gradually, taking out a little bit every day while vacuuming up the nasties that are trapped under the rocks, unless you don't have thick layers. We usually recommend sand or barebottom to keep from having accidents like that \:

It is amazing you can keep so calm and take care of your fish like that! I would've been a mess of nerves.

Edited by LovelyChaos

That sounds terrifying! I am glad you were able to save him!

Honestly I would go for big river stones. If he is big enough to swallow glass stones, he must be a big boy! Another option is to go "bare bottom" and have big stones as decor. Just make sure the stones you buy are bigger than his mouth! Sand is also an okay option, but it is difficult to maintain.

[e] Ninja'd by LovelyChaos! :rofl

Edited by GoldenSpoiledRotten

He is huge. He was just a little guy when I got him and now he's about 9 inches including his tail fins. I was completely freaked out when I removed the rock- holding him was weird and I was worried I would hurt him but he would have died if I didn't try. I have never heard of bare bottom aquariums so that is new to me... I think sand might be too much. He is already a tremendous amount of work. Thanks for the ideas.

I personally love the bare-bottom aquarium because it is easier to clean and very user-friendly! Decorating is much easier, too, and easier to move around if you find you want something different in your tank. (Plants can stay potted or be tied to rocks, etc.)

Also, please post some pictures of your big boy! We'd all love to see him!

How do I post photos? I can't seem to do it

photo.jpg Edited by koko

blockquote><p>If you click on the pictur

You will end up with this (:

photo.jpg

Edited by LovelyChaos

He is a pretty fish! I would definitely take out all of the gravel and switch to either barebottom or sand. I think barebottom tanks are beautiful (: But it is a matter of preference. He looks like a big guy, so I would definitely not keep any rocks with him unless they are very big, like river rocks as suggested before (:

Very beautiful oranda.

He's magnificent. Yes, he is also too big for anything but river rocks or sand, in my opinion.

Thank you. I really love him. He is so beautiful. I feel like an idiot for not realizing the rocks were dangerous. I am on my way to the shop I go to to get new rocks or no rocks at all. Thanks for all of the advice. His name is Lord Cucuface by the way :)

Oh my Gosh I'm so Happy to hear you saved his life :) He is Amazing :)

I also love bare bottom /river rocks better safe than sorry :)

IMG_1591.jpg

the rock I removed!

No way!!!!!!!!!!!! It's huge!!! I have large aquarium rocks in my tank, i'm so glad cos i'm not sure I could wrestle one of mine with the tweezers! :o

It actually had to pop out of his mouth when I removed it because his mouth was too small to just slip it out. I have no idea how he manged to eat it in the first place.

. I feel like an idiot for not realizing the rocks were dangerous.

:stop Do NOT feel bad about this! You made an honest mistake, and you were diligent enough to catch the problem and save your oranda in time, and now you're taking steps to remedy the issue. That's nothing to be ashamed of! I applaud your quick response and skill, it's not easy to remove gravel from a fish's mouth. :clapping:

We all hear that goldfish will try to eat anything that's not bigger then they are, but it's hard to believe until you experience it first hand. Greedy little gold piggies =3

I find sand to be super easy. I'm not sure what about it is supposed to be difficult. You don't vacuum it -- you just run the vac near it. The fish like to peck around in the substrate, so I like to have something for them.

OK. Back from the store. I got very small rocks. The guy said I could have an ammonia spike if I go to bare bottom and I am worried about that. Sand clogs the filter? So I went with small gravel and will be doing a 50% rock change tomorrow and the other 50% in a week.

OK. Back from the store. I got very small rocks. The guy said I could have an ammonia spike if I go to bare bottom and I am worried about that. Sand clogs the filter? So I went with small gravel and will be doing a 50% rock change tomorrow and the other 50% in a week.

if you take out the substrate slowly you can go barebottom without an ammonia spike. Sand will only hurt the filter if your filter intakes are too close to it and suck up the sand, we recommend shortening the filter intakes if you choose sand.

Good luck with your substrate change! You should post pics after :)