Sign in to follow this  
soupmonster

Feasible anacharis idea? (Or not?)

Hello hello, everybody!

So recently I have been looking into a second plant type to put into my tank. Reading plant guides always leads me time and time again to Anacharis. It's so perfect and I love everything about it... except the way it looks! I think it looks rather plain planted by itself or just floating, which is why I've always been hesitant to buy any.

Has anybody had success with tying down anacharis to driftwood? Is this even feasible? My idea is tie the bottoms of the anacharis onto the tips of this fake driftwood:

http://www.drsfoster...fm?pcatid=18456

Then, the rest of the anacharis would float around like "branches" and the overall picture would look like a lovely willow tree! What do you guys think?

Edited by soupmonster

I stuck my anacharis in little nooks in crannies that could hold them in my drift wood and put a rock in front of the plants. I'm sure you could tie it but you don't want to tie it too tight. My goldfish love to eat anacharis so I cant have it anymore. XD

Theoretically you could tie it down to some driftwood or faux driftwood, anacharis is a very hardy plant, all you really need is water and a light source to see growth. It's probably one of the easiest aquatic plants to grow. I don't see why this shouldn't work provided the plant is receiving enough nutrients and a little light, all you're really doing is giving it an anchor point.

As I said it's a pretty hardy plant, you can replant stems or cuttings, they'll shoot out new roots giving you new growth. Give it a few weeks and you should have a veritable jungle on your hands. ;)

In regards to the décor you linked, just be wary as it looks to be hollow. Hollow decorations pose several hazards, namely a place for fish to become trapped (especially larger goldfish) and a lack of water current resulting in stagnant spots.

It never hurts to try. Plants are a lot of trial and error, but it's no big deal if something doesn't work out. :)

I think it could work, however you would need to be careful tying them in order to avoid breaking the stems or tying them too tightly that they rot/die

Oh, okay. Thanks for the encouragement, everybody! I want to try it.

1. I plan on getting the Large Smooth Bark Tree version. I should routinely scrub the hidey holes during water changes? Since goldies are prone to getting stuck, I should cover/fill up the holes?

2. Would my anubias have trouble competing with anacharis nutrients?

I just want to be prepared before I invest in buying new decor!

Edited by soupmonster

I keep live anacharis in my tank for the goldies to eat and I replace it often...just saying ;)

My anacharis lasted about 4 or 5 days before I was left with 3-4" stubs. My goldies bit off the stems that floated in the tank and tons of leaves sucked into the filter.

It's still in there but has been a hassle since the beginning. It will be coming out soon and replaced with more anubias, java fern, and plants that won't be eaten.

My indica rotella is nearly bare as they have eaten it too

1. I plan on getting the Large Smooth Bark Tree version. I should routinely scrub the hidey holes during water changes? Since goldies are prone to getting stuck, I should cover/fill up the holes?

2. Would my anubias have trouble competing with anacharis nutrients?

To get around the stagnant water issue you could place an air stone under it, the bubbles will keep the current moving and should push up any trapped debris. Filling the holes with aquarium safe silicone is one route, alternatively you could look for something that isn't hollow. Personally I would look for something else, it just seems like less of a hassle this way.

Plants will take in nutrients from the water, so in a way they do compete against each other (just like plants in a garden), but provided you have some form of bio-load outputting nitrates, your plants should stay happy. Anacharis and anubias are both fairly lax plants, plus as Shawnee said, plants are all about trial and error. Happy planting. :)

Okay. I appreciate ALL the input! You are all so helpful! If only I had shopping consultants like you guys when I go to the mall. :P

I will probably go with java fern instead of anacharis and tie it to artificial driftwood without holes. (I don't want to constantly replace an anacharis salad bar, and I don't think my little air stone can make enough current for the numerous holes of that wood decoration I wanted.)

I think I saw this one at one of my local LFS, which would be nice too.

http://www.drsfoster...03&pcatid=21403

But I will have to go check to make sure it has no holes.

Edited by soupmonster