Othello

Othello

Around eight months ago I purchased a black moor goldfish and name him Othello.

Problem : A few months ago I noticed that Othello was developing a bit of popeye and, assuming the problem was mainly bacterial, began to treat accordingly. However, the popeye has only gotten worse and has developed to the point where I am fairly certain that he can no longer see in his left eye due to the internal cloudiness of it. The right eye is more extended though and has no cloud. It wasn't long until signs of fin rot began to show as well, such as red streaks towards the end of his tail. Yet the redness is only on his tail. His two pectoral fins are untouched, but his pelvic fins are a little ragged.

What strikes me as odd is that he has not changed behaviorally. Othello still is very active and responds to attention from outside the tank. His eating habits have not been affected and he is not constipated. His fecal matter is relatively normal.

I just have no idea what to do for him :( He doesn't act sick, but it's clear that I am not helping him much. I've been all over the web and have talked to various employees in the aquatic departments of stores. No one seems to know what to tell me to do for him....So I finally created an account here as a last resort. :(

I know that pictures and video help, so as soon as I can locate my camera, I will post some. In the mean time, I have posted all of the information that I can in the hopes that it might go somewhere.

Thank you for your time regardless :(

Specs:

:Nitrite Level(tank) : 0 ppm

Nitrate Level(tank) : 0 ppm

pH(tank) : 6.5-7

GH : 180 ppm

KH : 120 ppm

I currently use :

API 5 in 1 Aquarium Test Strips (but also use API pH and Ammo, drops as backup)

(1) Zoo-Med TC-20 Aquarium Filter

(1) Exo-Terra 318 Aquarium Filter

(1) TopFIn Air Pump AIR-500

When I do water changes I treat the new water with Prime by SeaChem.

When I'm not treating the tank with medication, I use API AMMO-CARB filter carbon.

Tank : 20 gallons at maximum capacity, but I only have it filled halfway at 10 gallons. The tank itself has been up and running for three years now.

No substrate at this given time.

Temp : 75 degrees F.

Water Changes :

I used to perform water changes everyday of about 50%

Now, due to the medication instructions, I do 25% water changes every three days.

The last water change was earlier this afternoon.

Occupants :

(1) Black Moor Goldfish*

*Usually, his tank mate is a female African Dwarf Frog named Travesti. The two get along well and do not compete for food. Occasionally, she will nip at him, but I have always attributed it to her poor eye sight.(they make quite the odd couple, admittedly) She has been removed at this time and placed into a different tank while Othello is being treated.

Othello is fed Aqueon Goldfish flakes and occasional produce (fruits and veggies). One assumes he has also nibbled at my ADF's food more than once which mainly consists of frozen blood worms. Othello is fed two-three times a day and suffers from no constipation. His fecal matter appears to be completely normal and is removed, if not by the filters, then by me when I do water changes.

Newbies :

Othello is the only new occupant, but has been residing in his current tank for eight months.

Medications :

Previously, Othello has been through courses of Epsom Salts, Melafix, Pimafix, and Tetracycline.

Currently, he is being run on a course of E.M. Erythromycin*with Aquarium Salts added at a rate of 1 tblspn/ 5 gal. once to twice a week.

* The instructions for the E.M. Erythromycin are 1 packet/ 10 gallons. After 24hrs, repeat dosage. After another 24hrs, perform a 25% water change, and repeat for another 3 days and so on.

Edited by Othello

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum! :)

Could you please provide test results for tap water as well?

Also, we do need your results for ammonia. I know the strips don't include ammonia so you have a couple options. What I would recommend if you have the funds is to pick up an API master test kit. Strip test kits are less accurate than drops, and the drops will last you a lot longer so you will save money in the long run. The API master test kit comes with everything you need, including the ammonia test. Alternatively you could buy the API ammonia test separately or bring a sample of your water to be tested at a local store if money is tight.

Is the tank only filled to 10 gallons because of the meds? (I assume you usually keep it full?)

Pictures and/or video will be very helpful once you find your camera :)

Thanks for the welcome :) I will provide the ammonia results as soon as possible. The tank has some decent swim room horizontally as well as vertically for his size. I would keep it completely full if it were not for my frog. However, I'm considering separating them for that fact alone. If I can get him healthy again, I'm going to fill the tank instead of keeping it at half.

I did find my camera last night, but still have to locate the converter for my SD card. However, upon doing a search, I found this picture that is relatively the same thing that Othello has going on with his eyes. The only difference is that the cloud is in his left eye and looks like it's inside his eye, not on the outside...

All credit for the photo goes to this fish's owner on flippersnfins...

post-38447-1200695984.jpg

As for the rot, right now it just looks inflamed and is pale/transparent wherever the inflammation is. His tail has a few stings that came off and his pelvic fins are a bit ragged. I will try to post actual picture of his as soon as I can :(

I understand, I just don't currently have the means to do that and don't know when I will be able to...What little funds I have have been going towards taking care of my fish and my only means of anything surplus is my mother who really doesn't care if he lives or dies so long as I shut up about it...

You could try emailing them to yourself, that's what I did when I didn't have a smartphone. Just compose the media message with the pic attached and instead of a phone number send it to your own email. You can then download it from your email and upload it to photobucket.

http://i1298.photobu...zpsf53ecdf2.jpg

Thank you so much, Pearlscaleperfect!

This is the only one I was able to get to come out on my phone. I took a video too, but it won't let me message it or any that I try to make. I also am still trying to get a picture of his tail, but for now, this is what I have of his eyes. From an aerial view, the left one looks like it has a sack behind it, and the right one is larger than the left one altogether.

Edited by Othello

Also, that white speck that looks like it's on his gill is not actually on him. It's just a particle in the water. The only white "things" he has on him are tubercles on his pectoral fins- a few faint spots on his gills as well.

I hate to be a huge pain, but could you get a picture from the top? It's easier to do this is you remove the fish and put him in a container so there's no water disturbance. You can also feed him while you do this to keep him still.

It's not a problem. I'm willing to do anything in my power, and if this will help, then so be it.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag49/Phirebreather/P102212_1842_zpsdb7478bf.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag49/Phirebreather/P102212_1841_zpsf619a995.jpg

I'm sorry for the poor quality. I hope that this may help.

He's starting to develop a bit of cloud in his right eye now too, but if I took a picture, it wouldn't be a high enough resolution shot to show up :(

We have been discussing this thread in the mod report center, and it was recommended by one of us that you look over this thread

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/101266-peanuts-puffy-eyes/

One of the mod team members had a similar issue, and as you will see in the thread, it was not an issue of water quality or bacterial infection. As PSP indicated above, sometimes teles will reach that gawkward stage where they are all eyes. Take a look at the thread and see if Othello's eyes resemble those of Peanut.

Also, if you can upload a video, that would really help us. Thanks!

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag49/Phirebreather/P102412_2252.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag49/Phirebreather/P102412_225201.jpg

I read the thread this morning and it does sound/look like what Othello has been going through. The only difference is that the redness in his tail appeared well before I started medicating. I thank everyone for the help, though. He isn't responding to the E.M. Erythromycin either and I was considering just taking him off of the meds. My only fear is that the redness on his tail will get worse.

Also, I am unable to upload video, but I was able to get some pics of his tail :unsure: albeit of horrible quality

I think it's a wise idea to get rid of the Erythromycin, because while it's a broad spectrum antibiotic, it really is much better at killing Gram-positive bacteria, which most of the time would not be the types of bacteria that we would deal with in an aquarium. There are some notable exceptions, but fin issues is not one of them.

If you can, get Medi-Gold (and Metro-Meds if your budget allows) from goldfishconnection.com. This is a much better treatment for him. :)

Thank you very much for your help :) I will be ordering the medication sometime between now and the weekend. I'll try to update during treatment ^-^

• 2 weeks later...

Just and Update:

I got the Medi-Gold in the mail on Tuesday. Due to the remnants of Hurricane Sandy, I had to make some rooming adjustments for my fish. My place lost power for five days and that means that neither of the filters were working ^^; I found it easier to move Othello to a smaller container with smaller water changes rather than perform large water changes in the dark. As soon as we got power back, I cleaned the tank out, reset the filters, tested the conditions, and released my fish back into the tank.

While he was in his smaller quarters during the power outage, he didn't eat much at all. He would swim around and would only touch his food if he got hungry enough. I figured perhaps he was under stress(?) and would return to normal behaviors as soon as he was back in the tank. However, when I pout him back today, I fed him a little of his usual food as well as the Medi-Gold. But I noticed that he would take in the food, swim around with it for a bit while moving his mouth, and then promptly spit it back out, regardless of the food. I'm wondering if maybe this is just stress? Or is there an underlying factor?

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag49/Phirebreather/P110212_1545.jpg

Also, somethings that I forgot to put in the update are that, since he was placed back into his regular tank, he has been spending most of his time around the aerator stone and swimming in and around the bubbles. I'm not sure if that has any significance, but he's also starting to develop cataract-like cloud in his good eye(a.k.a. right eye). His fecal matter has been fluctuating between normal and long, stringy strands that seem to be just white-ish matter...

No new news to report :( I even took his bubbles away while I fed him so that he could eat without...ditractions ^^; But he just did the same as yesterday. It was clear that he wanted to eat because, though he would repeatedly spit the food back out, flake and pellet alike, he would try again with a different piece...Is there anything that I can do for him at this point? I feel horrible watching his futile attempts :(

He is still in QT, right?

This will require a bit of work, but do-able. You will need to:

- raise the tank salinity to 0.3%. This will encourage the healing and kill off the infection. It's going to take a while. I think the last time I had this happen, it took a good 7-10 days.

- during that time, you will need to try to give him things that he can try to eat, such as brine and frozen blood worms. This will sustain him for a while.

Could you upload some pics/videos of Othello and describe his conditions? We may need to do something differently in terms of treatment, so I would like to review.