Sign in to follow this  
Ms.Jenny

Mold for Repashy/Gel Food

Hey everyone. :)

I recently purchased a little silicone ice cube mold to let my repashy set up in, and the size is absolutely perfect.

When making one cup/one ounce of repashy, every little 1"x1" square cup on the mold is filled up to the very top so the size of each cube stays very consistent, while using up all of the gel mix.

I bought it on Amazon for $6.99 with free shipping, a link to the product is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007C8BZP2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

I used to just let my repashy cool in a pan and then cut it into squares before freezing it, but this way is so much easier and I prefer the more accurate and consistent measurements. Plus, I've noticed that freezing repashy in bigger/thicker squares like this improves the texture once it defrosts.

I know this is a pretty insignificant product review, but since it took me awhile to decide on one to buy I thought it might help to provide a good option for other people if they've been thinking of getting something similar.

Happy shopping! :)

I will have to try this when I start ordering repashy (:

I have a similar mold. It works very well and is a great idea :)

I did the very same thing! I bought the ice cube tray with the little rubber piece on the bottom so you can push the cubes right out! Great idea! ;)

Yep, gonna do that!!!

(Just received my new order of Rapashy today!!) :clapping:

Haha--I think this is a great idea and have just received my first order of repashy, so went to look at ice tray options. And look what I found: http://www.amazon.com/Gamago-Cold-Fish-Cube-Tray/dp/B002SFCB9S/ref=sr_1_52?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1350696411&sr=1-52&keywords=ice+cube+tray+silicone

Though all of us would be hard pressed not to instinctively put a heater into any glass these little frozen guys might find their way into!

Do you just plop the 1x1 square in the tank? I noticed they had some trays with smaller cubes and wondered if that would be a better size? What does everyone else do to when they feed repashy?

That is a great idea! The 1 X 1 inche cubes would be waaay to big for my little guys but I will have to take a look at the smaller cubed trays! :)

Thanks for sharing.

I don't know about you guys, but I cut mine down into tiny little pieces and scatter it through the tank so they can forage some, they are roughly the same size as a pro-gold or 2. I also feel like that way they each get some and don't have to fight over one large piece. I like the idea of the ice cube tray though, it would be nice if I could find that made exactly 2gram cubes!

Do you just plop the 1x1 square in the tank? I noticed they had some trays with smaller cubes and wondered if that would be a better size? What does everyone else do to when they feed repashy?

I cut the square in half and then divide up one half between all 5 of my fish. So they get one half of a 1x1 inch cube per night. I tried to find ones that were smaller, but this is the smallest I could find. It still works great though because they're big and thick enough to defrost well, but small enough that one square is good for (x) amount of feedings so you know how much to defrost for however many days. At least that's what I like about it. :)

That is a great idea! The 1 X 1 inche cubes would be waaay to big for my little guys but I will have to take a look at the smaller cubed trays! :)

Thanks for sharing.

I cut it all up into tiny bite sized pieces, for me it's more for measuring out specific amounts to defrost and divide more evenly. ;)

I don't know about you guys, but I cut mine down into tiny little pieces and scatter it through the tank so they can forage some, they are roughly the same size as a pro-gold or 2. I also feel like that way they each get some and don't have to fight over one large piece. I like the idea of the ice cube tray though, it would be nice if I could find that made exactly 2gram cubes!

I do the exact same! :teehee

It's nice to have a generic idea of how much to cut up a square though. If the sqaure was 4 grams, you would at least know you need half of it which is still super easy to do. :)

I just spread mine on a cookie sheet & let it sit. Then I cut it into squares (so it is kinda thin but not too thin) then I freeze it. I keep a tupperware-like cup in the frig for daily use....usually several squares for the week.

When I made mine today I was about to wash the bowl when I noticed a thin "film" of it still in there. I scooped it out with my finger & put it into the tank.....immediate feeding frenzy!! Never waste a bit!!LOL!!