the beginning of pine-coning?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi artsy, it's Debbie. I am sorry to hear the mm haven not arrived yet : ( I did mail them out the day I had emailed you for your mailing address-I can't remember what day that was-and the lady at the post office helped me as it was mailing outside the u.s. I am not sure how long it actually takes for you to receive the meds so I'm not sure if this time frame is normal or too long. I will stop by the post office tomorrow and see if I can get some further details. Would you like me to send some more? If so, I will check if ups or fed ex has a better delivery system so your fishy has it quicker. Again, I am really sorry they have not arrived.

Hi artsy, it's Debbie. I am sorry to hear the mm haven not arrived yet : ( I did mail them out the day I had emailed you for your mailing address-I can't remember what day that was-and the lady at the post office helped me as it was mailing outside the u.s. I am not sure how long it actually takes for you to receive the meds so I'm not sure if this time frame is normal or too long. I will stop by the post office tomorrow and see if I can get some further details. Would you like me to send some more? If so, I will check if ups or fed ex has a better delivery system so your fishy has it quicker. Again, I am really sorry they have not arrived.

Hey Debbie! :)

No worries about the shipping, I'm sure that it'll be here early to mid next week. :) I dont think you'd need to send any more but it's awfully kind of you to offer! Fedex is expensive to canada, it's not worth spending 40 dollars over sending some medicated food :heart I'll send you an email or pm the day I get it! Again I can't thank you enough for this!

Hi Laura and Mango. My fish and I are battling dropsy now too. We'll cross our fins for you and Mango. :heart

Oh my goodness! You guys too? :( And we'll cross our own for you and your little fish too! :heart:hug

Eep I'm sorry fantailfan1 :( Dropsy is terrifying. I love keeping goldfish but I hate the gut sinking feeling when I notice something off in the tank. I have a fish with a severe swim bladder issue. She's had it since I got her in March but after a bad batch of eggs shes been flat on her side ever since. Im looking into getting a floating basket for her to help her stay upright a bit more. Being on one side so long has affected her eye and side had a sore :( Poor gal

Hi everyone!

So after searching everywhere I could not find metronidazole. A very nice man at my LFS said he had some in the back that they treat their own fish and offered me a little bit of the powder.

How would I administer it? I'm thinking of putting it in repashy soilent green, can anyone direct me on how to do this?

I've also bought garlic guard for extra support

Thanks!

How much do you have? You will need a scale, because we will need to measure out the food and the meds.

Hi Alex,

I have an archaic kitchen scale. Here is a picture of how much I have, I'm sure it's less than 30 grams. I'll try and measure it to see if it'll read

hvo4Y.jpg

Good luck with the powder! Hopefully that will get a jump on things before the MMs arrive.

Still thinking of you and Mango. :heart. How's she looking today?

Aw hun, how's your little guy doing too? :( hopefully a lot better than Mango is.

Mango looks bloated today, nothing's gone down even with the metromeds. I'm very worried :( At leats he's active and very interested in food at the moment

OK. This is what I would like for you to do:

- make one cup of soilent green. That's 1/4 cup of power and 3/4 of water. One cup of soilent green should weigh 225 grams.

- weigh out 2.5 grams of metronidazole. Mix it in a very small amount of water.

- proceed to make your soilent green

- when it starts to cool, but before it gels, add the metro water, and mix thoroughly

- let it set

That's your medicated food, and it will be enough for you to use for quite some time.

How much does Mango weigh? I can tell you the next steps in a few hours, since the food has to set anyway. I'm running on some errands, but will be back soon.

- make one cup of soilent green. That's 1/4 cup of power and 3/4 of water. One cup of soilent green should weigh 225 grams.

- when it starts to cool, but before it gels, add the metro water, and mix thoroughly

- let it set

That's your medicated food, and it will be enough for you to use for quite some time.

How much does Mango weigh? I can tell you the next steps in a few hours, since the food has to set anyway. I'm running on some errands, but will be back soon.

I'm not sure how much he weighs, but I will put him on the scale to find out now

- let it set

I'm not sure how much he weighs, but I will put him on the scale to find out now

No worries, I'll be on Koko's the whole night so I'll keep my eyes peeled for when you get back.

Mango currently weighs 15 grams

OK. So, at 15 grams, he will need to eat about 0.15 grams of medicated gel daily. With a maximum of 30 days, we are looking at 5 grams of food for the entire duration.

So, make your gel, the weigh out a 10 gram chunk and freeze the rest.

Then, divide the 10 grams into 1 gram amounts. Freeze 9 of these, and leave 1 gram out. That amount of food is enough for 3 days, because I would like to double dose him at first. Then, after that, thaw as you need. Each gram should last you 5-6 days.

Does that make sense? When MMs come, we will want to switch to that. He will be eating 6 pellets of MMs daily. :)

OK. So, at 15 grams, he will need to eat about 0.15 grams of medicated gel daily. With a maximum of 30 days, we are looking at 5 grams of food for the entire duration.

So, make your gel, the weigh out a 10 gram chunk and freeze the rest.

Then, divide the 10 grams into 1 gram amounts. Freeze 9 of these, and leave 1 gram out. That amount of food is enough for 3 days, because I would like to double dose him at first. Then, after that, thaw as you need. Each gram should last you 5-6 days.

Does that make sense? When MMs come, we will want to switch to that. He will be eating 6 pellets of MMs daily. :)

That's fantastic. Thank you Alex. I will keep you updated.

I'm also considering adding garlic guard to his normal routine provided that he makes it out okay. Do you think there is a benefit to soaking his food once a week in it?

Allicin, an active ingredient of garlic, clearly confers antimicrobial benefits. However, this substance is highly unstable, and I can never tell if even freshly prepared garlic has that much allicin left. For sure it doesn't hurt to try.

Allicin, an active ingredient of garlic, clearly confers antimicrobial benefits. However, this substance is highly unstable, and I can never tell if even freshly prepared garlic has that much allicin left. For sure it doesn't hurt to try.

Hmn, I think I'll give it a shot, I mean if it can't hurt him there isn't much risk in doing so! Thanks!! :)

That was really really nice of the LFS to give you some of the powder, which is easier to work with than the tabs with adding it to food. Told ya it was hard to find. Ive never added it to food before but I know people who do who live outside the USA and can't get MMs. Ive added it to tank water before but I prefer it getting administered orally. The powder makes a mess of the water.

And it looks like I learned something about Allicin! :)

That was really really nice of the LFS to give you some of the powder, which is easier to work with than the tabs with adding it to food. Told ya it was hard to find. Ive never added it to food before but I know people who do who live outside the USA and can't get MMs. Ive added it to tank water before but I prefer it getting administered orally. The powder makes a mess of the water.

And it looks like I learned something about Allicin! :)

:) Yeah it was VERY hard to find, I'm not going to lie I was getting worried I wasn't going to be able to find it at all. Peopel around here are so nice lately I feel like I should be able to pay it forward. That being said, I'd feel better administering it orally too