the beginning of pine-coning?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

update:

I haven't gotten the metro-meds yet (thank you so much Debbie, I can't tell you how thankful I am for this... especially because I'm paid on a monthly basis and am always broke by the end of the month). But I thought I would let everyone know how mango is doing.

He's still eating. He hasn't gotten worse, but the small amount of pine-coning he has hasn't gone down. I'm starting to wonder if my lights are playing tricks on me. He's also stopped hiding in the plant which was a behaviour I was really worrying about as he had been doing it for hours at a time until he stopped.

Water quality is kept clean, ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 and I am keeping the nitrate level under 2 ppm with 3 waterchanges a week at 25%

should I continue with the MM's treatment when I receive it? Do you think my eyes might be playing tricks on me thanks to the low light in the living room? I tried to take a picture of him, but in the tank he moves fast and I dont feel like stressing him out by removing him

here's a picture of him today (from the side) He looks kind of fat but I'm not sure if he's bloating or if maybe I'm over feeding him and he's getting obese (i hope not!!!!)

rcMjGl.jpg

and a failed attempt from the top:

HQzY0l.jpg

thanks for viewing, and any suggestions are as always, super appreciated

Can you get a better top down photo? The recent one posted is one I can't tell - and your other photos I did see some lifting so if there is any lifting those MMs being sent to you will help with it.

Can you get a better top down photo? The recent one posted is one I can't tell - and your other photos I did see some lifting so if there is any lifting those MMs being sent to you will help with it.

I can't seem to get a good shot today, it still looks like the first picture I've posted where they were really starting to lift though. Debbie is sending me some MMs, I should be getting them shortly. I'm assuming I should still treat since there is no improvement or worsening?

Does Mango usually look quite rounded from the top?

I think you should still do a 14 day treatment of MM's when you get them and see how he goes. He's looking quite good with the epsom alone, however if you can another top picture would still be great :)

Laura, can you try using the camera flash to get a top view photo? I've noticed that sometimes with ranchus their scales seem a little more defined around the edges than other types of fancy goldfish, so I just want us to make sure it's not that. :)

He does look a little chubbier to me too. That alone is not necessarily a bad thing, a well-fed ranchu should have an egg shaped body. He could just be filling out a little.

Laura, can you try using the camera flash to get a top view photo? I've noticed that sometimes with ranchus their scales seem a little more defined around the edges than other types of fancy goldfish, so I just want us to make sure it's not that. :)

He does look a little chubbier to me too. That alone is not necessarily a bad thing, a well-fed ranchu should have an egg shaped body. He could just be filling out a little.

Since it's a little late now I'll get a picture back to you tomorrow after work with flash. Maybe if I take the picture before I feed him he'll be willing to come up to the surface for me. I hope it's just a normal scales thing that the light is playing tricks on me with... he's no longer acting like a sick fish to me. It seems odd and I really don't want to medicate unless it's necessary :) I'll post tomorrow / send through a pm a better picture!

It may be good to take him out and place him a bowl or some sort of container where you can take a number of really good top view pictures. :)

Will do! But he's catching on to the net and bowl tactic ... too fast for me to catch with my hands just yet! :) I'll take him out tomorrow to do a couple non- flash and with-flash shots for proper comparison!

okay guys... so I officially think Mango has some form of dropsy/ bloat.

Here are pictures with/ and without flash. He looks bloated. I'll check my mail in a few moments to see if MMs have arrived yet. Please advise. :(

WITH FLASH

SazR2.jpg

WITHOUT FLASH

VLoM7.jpg

I'm sorry Laura. Yes the pineconing is very obvious now. You should be keeping the epsom in the water and you should have the temperature raised to about 80 degrees F.

Yes to the Epsom, but no to the increased temp. We only need to raise metabolism when there are meds to be processed. Otherwise, raising the temperature only favors bacterial growth, which can be detrimental.

I'm sorry Laura. :( Yes the pineconing is very obvious now. You should be keeping the epsom in the water and you should have the temperature raised to about 80 degrees F.

I'm sorry Laura. Yes the pineconing is very obvious now. You should be keeping the epsom in the water and you should have the temperature raised to about 80 degrees F.

Yes to the Epsom, but no to the increased temp. We only need to raise metabolism when there are meds to be processed. Otherwise, raising the temperature only favors bacterial growth, which can be detrimental.

:( this is definitely really upsetting... poor little guy.

so again, 1/8th tsp for 20 gallons for a max of 7 days. No temp change until I receive the medications. This will be round two! :( thank you for the help both of you