the beginning of pine-coning?

I'm not very good at this whole diagnosis thing nor am I good with treatment. I know I can be paranoid sometimes too, but can someone direct me to the right answer, transferring mango to the main tank tonight had me having a very good look at him in the tupperware container he's sitting in.... does he look like he's pine-coning? Or am I imagining things? To give everyone background, I just reset my tank up downstairs after a leak. He'd been in a 10 gal QT for a couple days, I did a wc yesterday, today I transfered him over and caught this... am I being paranoid again? :(

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tank) 0ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0.25ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0ppm
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? one AC70 (removed the other filter)
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * Water temperature? right now? 68 but gradually heating
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? once every 6-7 days at 85%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday, now today with fresh water in the new tank
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gal, up until last week it had been running since july
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? one fish, inch and a half
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice daily, pro gold and repashy and vegetable depending on the day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? not now, but I recently finished 5 rounds of prazi
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) no issues
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? ... no, but it looks like the very beginnings of pine-coning
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? not too interested in food, probably stressed out for days, some bottom sitting
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. prazi, 5 rounds with salt in the tank. It ended a couple weeks ago.
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video. I'll post a picture

ph8qA.jpg

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you possibly also upload a video of the behaviour he is doing?

Sorry but I can't view the images :( I am on my school network and certain things don't appear due to a filtering system. hopefully someone will be able to help you out!

Could you possibly also upload a video of the behaviour he is doing?

Sorry but I can't view the images :( I am on my school network and certain things don't appear due to a filtering system. hopefully someone will be able to help you out!

yup. Might be 10 minutes until uploading time. Video will be kind of dark since I refuse to turn on the tank light yet... dont need to stress him out more than he is! :) I'll post again very shortly then

I have absolutely no personal experience in this, but I do see what might be scaring you. He's not quite "pineconed" but you can see his scales aren't laying completely flat against his body, especially on the right side of the photo. I don't know if this is the onset of dropsy or just due to stress, but I would be asking the same questions as you so I don't think you're being overy paranoid. I hope it's nothing serious! :(

I have absolutely no personal experience in this, but I do see what might be scaring you. He's not quite "pineconed" but you can see his scales aren't laying completely flat against his body, especially on the right side of the photo. I don't know if this is the onset of dropsy or just due to stress, but I would be asking the same questions as you so I don't think you're being overy paranoid. I hope it's nothing serious! :(

:( thanks Jenny. I'm glad to know I'm not worrying for no reason, but I do hope this little guy is alright. I'm going to be keeping a real close eye on him for now and stay up with him. I hope it's just stress related from being in a smaller tank with too much current for a few days

Honestly, I'm sure he's just stressed but it's good to make sure just in case. At least if it's something to be concerned about, it has been noticed as early as possible. :)

I hope so! :( I love this little guy! It hurts to see him not feeling well!

I do see some slight scale lifting. For now, I would try epsom (1/4th teaspoon for your tank) and heat up near 80 degrees. I would be hesitant to start med food right now since it is not 100% dropsy.

I do see some slight scale lifting. For now, I would try epsom (1/4th teaspoon for your tank) and heat up near 80 degrees. I would be hesitant to start med food right now since it is not 100% dropsy.

What kind of epsom salts would I need to pick up? Just unscented from the pharmacy? and 1/4th for the entire tank? I will leave the heater on in the tank tonight! Thank you so much for the advice... I hope I can reverse this quickly

What kind of epsom salts would I need to pick up? Just unscented from the pharmacy? and 1/4th for the entire tank? I will leave the heater on in the tank tonight! Thank you so much for the advice... I hope I can reverse this quickly

Just pure Magnesium sulfate

Just pure Magnesium sulfate

I'll pick it up tomorrow morning since everything is closed here at midnight. :heart thank you so much

That looks great! :thumbs:

Thank you Alex! :) I still see some very slight lifting of scales, so I'll keep him for one more day in epsom before I do a waterchange and slowly pull down that temperature again!! I'm relieved! I've also been fasting him and only now started feeding him vegetables only to avoid him consuming any salt!

I was wondering how he was doing! He looks good to me, and he looks so big! Do you know how much he has grown? He is so cute, definitely one of my favorites. :)

:D I am definitely relieved! I think he has gained some weight since I got him :) I don't know exactly how much he's put on but I'm considering getting a scale just so I can keep track! I did do a photo comparison recently and he's definitely bigger especially since he's on pro gold now! :) and aww :heart I'm glad you think so!

gvpxt.png

You will need Metro-Meds or some metronidazole based meds.

Do you have any of that? I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding. The Epsom will help, but it alone rarely suffices :(

You will need Metro-Meds or some metronidazole based meds.

Do you have any of that? I'm sorry if there was a misunderstanding. The Epsom will help, but it alone rarely suffices :(

I dont :( and I'm broke until the 31st unfortunately because I get paid on a monthly basis :( what should I do? I already did a round of epsom salts in the meantime. Should I be avoiding foods with sodium in it?

No trouble at all-I looks to help when/where I can. Just so you know, I purchase the mm in July from go connection so it is pretty new. The only thing is I need your address, I know you should probably not put it on the postings for privacy reasons, so how shall I go about getting your address?