Found these...

BurningIvy

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't bad for them. They can use the nutrients. But I would, as people here have suggested to me, remove the remainder in a day or two so that they don't mess up the water quality.

Yeah they are mess makers, as you've notice, most people cultivate their eggs in methylene blue cause they are notorious for getting fungus on them which prevents them from germinating.

If you want to save them: Remove them, put them in a tank of their own, 6" depth or more and make sure the water is pristine. Start a new thread and we'll help you from there :)

If you don't want to save them: Releasing eggs is a tremendous amount of effort and stress on fish. Older fish can even get floaty after the experience or bottom sit. Eggs and milt are a good source of protein (obviously) and can help restore some of that lost energy but don't keep the eggs in for more than 12 hrs, check your levels and definitely siphon them what it isn't eaten before fungus sets in on the unfertilized eggs.

Either way congrats for having a breeding pair and at least you know they'll be able to do it if you ever want to expand into breeding in the future :)

No they glue on the floor fairly roughly so they don't get knocked around by the filtration, do you fill your tank with a python or bucket?

python - Use the water that you are filling to provide extra pressure around the eggs

bucket - Dump bucket directly on the eggs.

Once you have them suspended they are easier to scoop up or to suction up with the python.

• 3 weeks later...

He's the cutest little thing! I don't know what to do at all... And I'm completely freaking out. He's super lucky I almost sucked him up while I was cleaning the tank. I thought he was a poop =p

I think an airstone would be OK as long as it's the right size for the tub. I sometimes put an air flow control thing on it to slow down the flow of air if it's too strong.

Do you have a sponge filter?

Edited by fantailfan1

No ... I wasn't exactly planning for them. I will have to run in town and get some things... problem is I don't know what I need. I have four babies and I'm putting them in a 3 gallon sterilite tub with a little airstone as well as a plant from the tank. I feel like I may be in over my head. I'm going to buy some frozen baby brine shrimp and try feeding those... or liquifry if I can find it. I don't know what else they need. =/

Dont use a sponge filter or air stone right now. You want minimal movement. Just do daily waterchanges. If you only have a few fry, i would try to catch them in a cup or container and do a full 100% change on their tub.

Okay I'll take the airstone out. I just put fresh water in the tub and took them out of the tank I found them in. I have the water at around 76 degrees now but until I buy a heater that temp is going to slowly drop (it's snowing up here) The ph is at 6.4 and it won't rise so I'm waiting to put them into the tub from the cup I caught them in.