Best media for biological filtration...

I want to add as much biological filtration to my Rena XP3. I was wondering if one type of media is more effective (can hold more bacteria and/or last longer) than another. There's just too many to pick from (brands). My filter came with little ceramic (not actual ceramic, I just don't know what it's actually made from) looking tube pieces. Which ones do you use?

I really like the Fluval Biomax, but I don't really know if it is or isn't the best media out there for this purpose. I think any kind of media of that type from a reputable manufacturer would be fine, though.

I really like the Fluval Biomax, but I don't really know if it is or isn't the best media out there for this purpose. I think any kind of media of that type from a reputable manufacturer would be fine, though.

This is my favorite media as well, and they are super sturdy!

Matrix is also quite good :) I have been using it for years and it is by far my favourite media since I have never needed to replace it. I recently added a ton of it to my goldfish filters and I really like it

I use mops and sponges :rofl Eventually I will get some sponge pads from swisstropicals.com or I will get the cheaper version matala from home depot. The cheapest option for me was cutting up furnace filters and using that but I found in was just too brittle so I threw it out.

In small areas like HOBS and canisters you do need something that's high efficiency, the ceramic rings and balls these days are made for maximum efficiency with a great pore count for bacterial growth, just make sure to keep them in a container, like holey pantyhouse, makes filter cleaning LOADS easier :yeah: