Sign in to follow this  
Adeann

FINALLY A NEW TANK!

So today after several hours browsing through different stores, I found a decently priced 29G +stand and hood and i jumped all over it! The store was really nice and specialized in salt water fish and tanks but they had a nice selection of Koi and other goldfishies that i really wanted to take with me haha. But after a month-month and a half, my goldies will finally have the right tank for them :D

Hooray! That's great news. Be sure to show us pictures of your setup. :)

Congratulations. A new tank is exciting. Looking forward to pic/video when all set up. And don't forget pics of fish!

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping::carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

I guess size does matter after all :P

When i placed my fish in a bigger tank after a month i saw a major increase in the length of their fins. take photos of your fish to compare how they change after you put them in the new tank.

When i placed my fish in a bigger tank after a month i saw a major increase in the length of their fins. take photos of your fish to compare how they change after you put them in the new tank.

Winner winner....Larger tank means more room to grow. I have only 2 fish in 50 gallons and my Myng is getting bigger now.... :)

Winner winner....Larger tank means more room to grow. I have only 2 fish in 50 gallons and my Myng is getting bigger now.... :)

How cool koko! I bet they are loving all that space. Do you have a current video of your fish in their big home?

How cool koko! I bet they are loving all that space. Do you have a current video of your fish in their big home?

Not yet but I really should... just been so busy and well Pregnant :rofl

Thank you all and i will as soon as the tank is ready for them! About how long should i wait before i introduce them to their new home?

Congratulations Koko! I'm so happy for you! :D

I'm sure my fish are going to explode in size when they get in the tank, Lizzy has gotten so big in this tiny 5 gallon, it amazed me at how fast too!

Thank you all and i will as soon as the tank is ready for them! About how long should i wait before i introduce them to their new home?

I'm sure my fish are going to explode in size when they get in the tank, Lizzy has gotten so big in this tiny 5 gallon, it amazed me at how fast too!

The best way is to have a fishless cycle with borrowed media from your establised tank. If you are using the same filters then your cycle should stay in tank and you will be dealing with a cycle BUMP instead of starting from almost scratch. The other thing to consider is what conditions are your fish currently in, how long they've been in that and if they could handle being in that while you make sure the cycle is intact.

Since the tank is new you won't need to clean it. Just make sure that the conditioned water is pH and temp matched when transferring your fish from one tank to another, that will help them reduce stress.

Do you have enough filtration for your 29G or will you need to add or upgrade your filter(s)?

Very glad you lucked out and got a bigger tank, I can't wait to see the wiggles from your little fishies in there :D

The best way is to have a fishless cycle with borrowed media from your establised tank. If you are using the same filters then your cycle should stay in tank and you will be dealing with a cycle BUMP instead of starting from almost scratch. The other thing to consider is what conditions are your fish currently in, how long they've been in that and if they could handle being in that while you make sure the cycle is intact.

Since the tank is new you won't need to clean it. Just make sure that the conditioned water is pH and temp matched when transferring your fish from one tank to another, that will help them reduce stress.

Do you have enough filtration for your 29G or will you need to add or upgrade your filter(s)?

Very glad you lucked out and got a bigger tank, I can't wait to see the wiggles from your little fishies in there :D

Alright, I do have a filter for my new tank, its rated at 250Gph so that should be fine. With the fishless cycle, how long does that last? I know you put ammonia and stuff in it? My first fish was put in the 5 gallon a little over a month ago while the new fish was put in about a week ago. Lizzy(my first fish) got a bacterial infection in the first week but i bought some Melafix and that took care of it. After that there haven't been any problems with them. I put sand in this tank while the smaller one has gravel, will that be fine for goldfish?

And thank you all for the quick responses :)

With borrowed media from your 5 gal you should be able to have a fishless cycle in a couple of weeks (unless problems arise) I think it would be fine as long as you continued to monitor things carefully in the 5 gal and make sure not to overfeed. (You can catch up on their growth when they're settled in the 29 gal)

You can start a new thread in water quality to help you with your fishless cycle. :)

With borrowed media from your 5 gal you should be able to have a fishless cycle in a couple of weeks (unless problems arise) I think it would be fine as long as you continued to monitor things carefully in the 5 gal and make sure not to overfeed. (You can catch up on their growth when they're settled in the 29 gal)

You can start a new thread in water quality to help you with your fishless cycle. :)

Great posting :thumb:

Wait, what?! Is Koko really pregnant? Did I miss something? Aaaahhhhhhhh!!!!

OH and good luck with the fishless cycle! :)

Wait, what?! Is Koko really pregnant? Did I miss something? Aaaahhhhhhhh!!!!

OH and good luck with the fishless cycle! :)

I saw that also and thought...............koko or her fish? lol Then I didn't want to be the first one to respond.

I know we don't know each other but I kind of feel like I do.....Congratulations.