Sign in to follow this  
GoldenSpoiledRotten

Hikari Vs. Pro-Gold

Which is the most preferred brand and why? I've been tempted to switch to Hikari "Purple bag" (fancy goldfish color enhancing diet) and wondered, would it be recommended to make the switch off of pro-gold?

color enhancing foods may color any white parts of your goldie yellow so be warned! I've had good experiences with Hikari lionhead but my LFS no longer carries it so for pellets I use a mix. And honestly a mix is a fun way of getting the best of all the good pellet brands! You could mix multiple kinds of hikari with pro-gold if you like. my pellet mix is Progold, omega one sinking (both small and medium sizes) and spirulina pellets. Variety is key in any goldfish's diet! I wrote a article about a healthy goldfish diet if you'd like to read it here. :)

I just notice WAY more growth on progold than i did with any other food.

I used to feed Hikari purple and switched to Pro-Gold about 2 months ago. I've noticed a lot more growth with Pro-Gold but my fish really went nuts for the Hikari. Plus, I really liked the smaller size of the Hikari pellets since I could give more and they would have to forage longer to find them all. I honestly think they are both a good choice but overall I prefer Pro-Gold, I just try to break them up a little before feeding. :)

I love Pro-Gold, simply because I get the best growth out of it, and my floaty-prone fish get the least amount of floatiness from this food. Hikari purple turned them into bobbing flotation devices.

I know that Sakura likes to use the Saki Hikari. So, may be she can tell you more about this product.

Iv'e had the best overall results with pro-gold, that food contains awesome stuff for goldfish. I tried hikari before and It seemed as if my goldfish wanted nothing to do with it, I actually had to scoop it out with a net! I couldn't believe it.

May be your fish is allergic to MSG :rofl

both are good brands ( in my opinion) but with pro- gold I have noticed that my fish have gotten HUGE, and even little Mahina has grown !!!

Haha Thank you everyone for your opinions and jokes! O3O This is such a friendly place.

May be your fish is allergic to MSG :rofl

Mine are and so am I :P

I fed my two fancy Goldfish for the Hikari Purple bag for almost a year now (I started feeding them saki-hikari november thanksgiving us of 2011). They indeed got bigger, they love the pellets, and it does colar their white with yellow.

You know where I can get Pro-Gold from?

The only place to get it is from GoldfishConnection.com, which is also a good place to get antibiotic fish foods that might be good to have in the future.

The only place to get it is from GoldfishConnection.com, which is also a good place to get antibiotic fish foods that might be good to have in the future.

Winner Winner

Winner Winner

5282012203012sdfsg.jpeg

I felt a need to put that out there considering the rest of your phrase...

Winner Winner

5282012203012sdfsg.jpeg

I felt a need to put that out there considering the rest of your phrase...

10 points :thumb:

Is there a difference between Hikari lionhead and Hikari Oranda aside from the fact that one sinks and the other floats?

Has anyone tried the salad wafers on goldfishconnection.com? It might save some time peeling peas, but I know that nothing beats fresh veggies.

Has anyone tried the salad wafers on goldfishconnection.com? It might save some time peeling peas, but I know that nothing beats fresh veggies.

Actually, instead of either of these, get the Repashy soilent green gel food mix. It's better than both! :)

I am an avid user of New Life Spectrum pellets, which contain a unique blend of ingredients: "Algae Meal, that consists of Seaweed, Kelp, and Haematococcus pluvialis (a micro algae), a premium grade of natural Spirulina, as well as a fruit & vegetable extract that consists of Spinach, Red & Green Cabbage, Peas, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Kiwi, Apricot, Pear, Mango, Apple, Papaya, and Peach. All New Life Spectrum products also contain a generous inclusion rate of Garlic (Allium Sativum) with the Thera-A formulas containing a mega-dose of this natural anti-parasitic ingredient." http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=60

But I would also recommend pro-gold over hikari. Hikari is known to have fillers and MSG, so just a heads up. So if you're looking for quality, natural food with no extra "crap", I would recommend New Life Spectrum, Pro-Gold, or Repashy's Soilet-Green gel food. And of course, I agree with pearlscale's post about feeding a varied diet. Throwing in the occasional peas, spniach, zucchini, cut up fresh fruit, algae pellets, blood worms, brine shrimp, and so on...as a treat, is key to a healthy goldfish.

I was using NLS a lot before as well, but those pellets started making my fish very floaty :(

My fish and snails loooove soilent green and they do well with ProGold also. My ryukin used to be a bit floaty with pellets and he doesn't seem to have this problem at all on soilent green. :)