Sign in to follow this  
JamieMonster

Soilent green= thumbs up!

Ok- so, I started my fish on soilent green this week- and I have to say, I am very happy with it! In 6 days of feeding, I can't say I see any improvement in my super floaty fish that is of any significance yet, but, I didn't expect to with this short of time. What I do see is that my red/gold fish are a much deeper color than before.

My pretty red & white boy, Lloyd, was starting to have some of his red "saddle" get a bit patchy in the lower parts of the pattern, and it is coloring back up nicely, and my red girl Saffron, my red oranda, Pumpkin Jack, and my red lionhead, Ham Bone, are all super deep & bright colored. Very rich orange, with some serious color depth. Buttercup, a red & white ryukin, is also getting some black streaks in her tail, which she did not previously have before, and Gordy, who I believed was sarassa, now also has a black freckle in his tail- both of these fish have 1 black eye, so, they definitely carry the possibility of being calico over sarassa. I am assuming this is from the food?

I am going to finish out the 1 lb that I bought over the next few months as my "test run" of the food, but, I do believe this will be a permanent switch for them! Thanks so much to everyone who recommended it- it is definitely making a difference, and I can see why so many say it is worth the price. :D

Great to hear it works so well for you!! As long as it does not cause a worsening of the floating issues (like many other foods did for my fish), then it sure is a win situation :)

Great to hear it works so well for you!! As long as it does not cause a worsening of the floating issues (like many other foods did for my fish), then it sure is a win situation :)

No, definitely not any worse- my super floaty girl, Petunia is still a bobber- but, she had been for the 4 years before I got her, apparently. I don't know if she will get better. Nellie still tends to tip forward when she is floating around, but, it could be because she has a short, very round body & pretty large eyes (moor), and Buttercup is still a little floaty, which has, apparently, been an ongoing issue for a few years from before she came to live with me... we shall see over the next few months if they start getting any improvement with these things. Like you said- as long as they don't get worse, it may be well worth it, as these things can tend to progress over time with other foods. So far so good, though!

Thanks, Fang. :D

thanks for the review :)

I have no floaters atm (knocks on wood) but I also have def noticed a much brighter red in my Ollie & Rusty and Zeus my blue guy has really deepened in color as well The fish go crazy for this food now and it's only been on the menu for a couple of weeks :)

i am going to continue to make this their staple :)

Its taken a week but between the heater I added and feeding only repashy for a full week now, my Oranda's floatiness is pretty much cured. My Ryu's is still there, but definitely improved over where it was. At night time he couldn't get to the bottom of the tank and now he can. I am hoping in another week, it might be altogether gone. I've also noticed their air eating has gone way down.

Have you added a heater for your bobbers? I was given that advice here and it has definitely helped mine.

Edited by cmclien

I REALLY like the Soilent Green! I first ordered the 2 oz pack to try. Since it was a hit with the goldies AND everyone on Koko's seems so happy I ordered 8 oz next.

I like that they sent me (2) 2 oz packs & (1) 4 oz pack. This works great for me. I am going to feed this as their main food. Then add some Saki Hakari for foraging. And Occasionally I'll soak some ProGold.

I also add fresh veggies here & there...whatever I am fixing us!

I think this will keep my little Piggies happy & healthy!!

I REALLY like the Soilent Green! I first ordered the 2 oz pack to try. Since it was a hit with the goldies AND everyone on Koko's seems so happy I ordered 8 oz next.

I like that they sent me (2) 2 oz packs & (1) 4 oz pack. This works great for me. I am going to feed this as their main food. Then add some Saki Hakari for foraging. And Occasionally I'll soak some ProGold.

I also add fresh veggies here & there...whatever I am fixing us!

I think this will keep my little Piggies happy & healthy!!

I did the same thing! : )

Its taken a week but between the heater I added and feeding only repashy for a full week now, my Oranda's floatiness is pretty much cured. My Ryu's is still there, but definitely improved over where it was. At night time he couldn't get to the bottom of the tank and now he can. I am hoping in another week, it might be altogether gone. I've also noticed their air eating has gone way down.

Have you added a heater for your bobbers? I was given that advice here and it has definitely helped mine.

They are currently in an unheated tank- adding a heater will help them to have more swim bladder control? I was unaware of this! I will definitely pick one up & give it a try. Thank you for that suggestion!

Petunia is still a bobber after 2 weeks- but, she hand feeds much more readily with the soilent green. I think she really likes the taste! That is good. :D hehe. I'll pick up a heater and see if that helps. She has had SBD for 4 years before coming to live with me, though... I'm not completely pessimistic about her getting her floatiness cured, but, I think it may be a realistic expectation to accept that she just may stay that way. She is still happy and living a fully functional life, though... so, she can just be my cute little bobber-fish, if she never fully recovers. :heart.